Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Perspective

What a difference a week makes in television. Now that more shows have premiered, let's start picking them off, one by one.

Cavemen, as predicted, did indeed suck. But it sparkled like the Hope diamond compared to the show immediately following it. Carpoolers was positively horrendous, so bad, in fact, I fell asleep during it. My brain refused to remain conscious while that pile of manure was being excreted on my screen. I had to spray my living room with Glade when it was over. I'd give Carpoolers a score of "abysmal" and Cavemen a score of "abysmal plus."

Edit - I'm glad you stuck to your ethos and passed on Cavemen.

I caught a full episode of Reaper this week, and honestly, I wasn't impressed. To be fair, I think my demographics fall well outside that of the target audience. It kind of smelled of day-old Velveeta and crackers to me, but the kids might like it. For me, I won't be back.

Last week, I thought Big Bang Theory was funny. This week, I can't in good conscience recommend it, not even to frenemies. I predict cancellation, although it shouldn't be cancelled before Cavemen and Carpoolers.

I continue to despise Private Practice. I read in a TV critic's blog that the network rearranged the order episodes were to be shown, and what was to be episode 4 was aired this past week as episode 2. So either continuity is to be damned, or the writing is so vapid, there's nothing stringing the shows together to even worry about. The episode they moved up this past week featured a story line where a pair of newborns had been swapped at the hospital nursery several months earlier, and now that the switch has been uncovered, the two mothers were forced to exchange the infants. Of course, the mother who had trouble conceiving in the first place gave birth to a baby who won't live past 5 years of age. So highly melodramatic was this episode, that it was clear that Shonda Rhimes and ABC are trying to suck in viewers who are prone to over-sentimentality. I don't like being manipulated, and next week, I'm going to turn the television OFF between Pushing Daisies and Dirty Sexy Money.

I liked the Pushing Daisies premiere. Brothers and Sisters had a solid opening this season as did Boston Legal. Ditto The Office and 30 Rock (MILF Island! HAHA!).

My beloved Mad Men has only two more episodes left to finish out it's 13-week run. As the season draws to a close, the seeds that were planted early on have grown and are being sown with delicious results. I'm probably going to go into a period of mourning when the final episode airs October 18, so please be gentle. I'm delighted it was renewed, but the new season doesn't start until June. In the meantime, I'm going to pillage Jon Hamm's IMDB page and watch every past performance I can get my hands on.

7 Comments:

At Saturday, October 06, 2007 8:42:00 PM, Blogger v said...

With the crap that one can find, with abundance, on TV at any given time, I shouldn't be so surprised at how terrible the Fall premieres are each year. But each Fall what little hope I do have surely gets crushed.

Not sure if anyone else checked out BIONIC WOMAN, but for those who didn't, steer clear of it.

And, hopefully, no one remembers me recommending HEROES from last year. It steadily fell into a lazy, melodramatic mess. Unfortunately, season 2 hasn't reversed this trajectory.

I've been curious about PUSHING DAISIES and after your favorable comment I think I'll try to check it out.

PS - Once again glad to hear MAD MEN got renewed. I'll have to catch that on DVD.

 
At Sunday, October 07, 2007 1:45:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I must check out Cavemen just for the cheesy factor. I liked Pushing Daisies and 30 Rock is always amusing, but my main obsesssion lately is watching movies and old tv shows on tvlinks.com. I adore that site.

 
At Sunday, October 07, 2007 5:16:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

I'm going to miss Mad Men, too. Glad you liked Pushing Daisies.

 
At Sunday, October 07, 2007 6:11:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Pru - I've got The Apartment sitting here from Netflix, waiting to be watched.

 
At Monday, October 08, 2007 6:31:00 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

The Office is always good.

 
At Monday, October 08, 2007 11:03:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I loved MILF Island!

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:58:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

How happy am I that you hate Private Practice? I predict Kate Walsh will be crawling back on her hands and knees back to Grey's and will go by her new nickname, McGrovel.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home