Monday, September 17, 2007

Random Notes on Various Subjects

THE EMMYS:

James Spader - Good on James Spader for pulling the upset in the Best Actor in a Drama category. Just like everyone else, I thought when I heard “James…” the next word would be “Gandolfini.” I’ve mentioned before that Spader brings his A-game week after week, and I’m happy his work was recognized. I’ve read all the bitching and moaning on the IMDb message boards about Hugh Laurie and Gandolfini being robbed. To the doubters and haters out there, I suggest you actually tune in to Boston Legal and experience the pleasure of Spader’s textured and complex portrayal of Alan Shore. (Photo from his 2005 Emmy win.)

BTW, is it wrong that I find James Gandolfini sexy? Because I totally do.

Katherine Heigl – I was stunned. I would have given the Emmy to either of her co-stars, but what the hell. Good for her. I bet she’ll be the first one to leave Grey’s for her burgeoning film career. Rumor has it Grey’s is going back to it’s winning style from seasons #1 and #2. If that’s true, it may not lose me as a viewer. But I’ll be watching from online because NBC’s Thursday night comedy lineup deserves my viewership after the bullshit Grey’s pulled last season. You have to earn me back, Shonda Rhimes.

Sally Field – Another shocker, but I love her as Nora Walker in Brothers & Sisters (or Bros & Hos, as Ryan and I like to call it). Hysterical that Fox censored her criticism of the “goddamned war.” Fox has been making big bucks off the war; they can’t have Gidget talking smack about their main source of cash flow.

Tony Bennett – I have a strong sentimentality for Tony Bennett. I thought that it was sweet that he introduced his wife, and I’m glad he used his real name in doing so. It looks to my experienced eye that Tony is slipping, so I’m glad he was feted while he can still appreciate and enjoy it.

The Sopranos – I didn’t watch The Sopranos for two reasons. 1) I don’t have HBO; and 2) I can’t deal with that level of violence. But I enjoyed internet clips and always kind of kept track of it from afar, keeping an arm’s length distance from the brutality. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed having the cast come out and take a final bow. I got chills. And BTW, the music that was playing in the background (not The Jersey Boys, the music after the boy band left the stage), was that the theme song from the show? I loved that heavy bass riff, it was totally killer.

DESIGN STAR
– Poor planning on HGTV’s part, but the finale of Design Star aired during the second hour of the Emmy’s. I taped it and watched it later. I liked both finalists, and thought Kim’s final design was the (far) better of the two. She did indeed win (and I voted for her), although I really expected Todd to win. I kind of had him pegged as the producers’ choice from week one, he was so camera-ready and pretty. Maybe these things aren’t fixed after all. Congrats to Kim, I’m looking forward to her show.

ROCK OF LOVE – Don’t ask me why, because there is no clear reason, but yes, I’m watching this trash. It’s a mystery to me how Bret Michaels manages to be a complete tool and yet likeable at the same time. It must be the same charisma that has sustained his career despite his mediocre (and I’m being generous) talent. That and pretty blue eyes. At any rate, last night he finally got rid of the show’s ringer, Lacey. Now he’s down to two girls, and I’m wagering he picks the stripper in next week’s finale.

ALAN GREENSPAN – Ha! Dude totally called Bush out on the war in Iraq, stating clearly and succinctly that it is, and always was, all about the oil. And now he’s desperately back-tracking. C’mon, old man, show some spine and stick by your original words. Of course it’s always been about the oil. See, it’s not that hard to figure out if you turn off Fox and stop thinking with your head up your rectum. Whenever a member of an oil family is living in the White House, we invade the oil rich countries that the cartel is not already in bed with. It’s pretty elementary logic. But I guess there are still a few Americans who think, despite the fact that there were zero Iraqis and 19 out of 20 Saudis on those airplanes on 9/11, that we’re somehow fighting terrorism in Iraq.

OJ – Ahhh hahaha haha ha ha ha hah hahaha hahaha ha ha ha!!!

13 Comments:

At Monday, September 17, 2007 1:53:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

If anyone knows anything about acting, they would look at the years Spader was nominated and DIDN'T win and know that HE was the one who was robbed. James is a top notch actor, and it was a pleasure to work with him and his footage.

 
At Monday, September 17, 2007 2:18:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I just watched Mannequin on television the other day and James Spader is great in everything he does. He was great in a movie about a store mannequin that comes to life and that takes some talent.

It isn't wrong that you find James Gandolfini sexy. Tony Soprano is surprisingly alluring.

 
At Monday, September 17, 2007 2:19:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

PPS - I also loved James Spader as Steff in Pretty in Pink. But who doesn't love everything about Pretty in Pink?

 
At Monday, September 17, 2007 6:57:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

A couple quick comments on a cool post. First, I agree with everyone on James Spader. Great actor.

I would have been a little perplexed abut the James G. being sexy, but a lady friend explained it to me years ago and I recall her using the phrase "big teddy bear" or something like that.

And what's up with Greenspan? A book release on the eve of a potential Fed rate cut? I guess timing really is everything.

 
At Monday, September 17, 2007 10:14:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Gandolfini shamed the family with that tux and tie, though.
Horrible fitting and notched lapels.
Bad, bad, bad..

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:35:00 AM, Blogger prettykitty said...

if this happened last year, there's no way i would have backed you on the spader upset. but this season it was all i could do to not hear gandolfini trying to breathe around his clogged arteries in every scene.

design star - i watched all the way up to the finale and dang it if i didn't know who won until now!

rock of love - i can't believe i look forward to this garbage every week. bret michaels is a douche, but not as douchey as those tramps who think he's a catch.

oj - i'm afraid to get too happy until i hear that "guilty verdict!

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2007 6:44:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I'm also loving the Rock of Love. It's so facinating that chicks fight over this doofus. Of course, he is slightly more acceptable to fight over than Flava Flav, but only slightly.

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2007 8:19:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

The few times I've seen BL, I have to admit to being impressed with Spader - he's not at all what I expected based on his early work.

Good for Alan Greenspan - stick with your guns, buddy

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:24:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

I wish I had as much time as you people to watch TV! Alright, I'm guilty as charged.

Love Gandolfini, but he basically slept walk through the past two seasons. But Michael Imperioli should have gotten the Emmy for his performance this year. James Spader is eccentric and odd, but he is very interesting to watch. He was super hot in the 80s.

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:05:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Edit - Word.

Mishy - If you haven't seen it, Check out James in Secretary with Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Flix - Just like clockwork, that rate cut happened today. My stocks soared, too.

Mike V - Don't ever let anyone outside the family know what you're thinking.

Kitty - Sorry about the spoiler. I honestly thought that me, my mother, and my cousin were the only ones watching. Yeah, those girls are pretty pathetic.

Pru - Douche Michaels is definitely a catch compared to Flava Flav.

Diane - I recently saw the beginning of Endless Love where Spader played Brooke Shields' brother. He's come a long way.

Kookla - It's funny. I only got cable a year and a half ago. Before that, I literally never watched television. Oh, and the reason I got cable was to watch HGTV.

 
At Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:14:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

well having just found out the emmy winners, all I can say is that "I love her, I really love her." Sally Field kicked some major ass. I like James Spader, never watched him in his new show though. I loved him on "the Practice."

I need to catch up with Mad Men, as I have been extremely preoccupied as of late.

Need to get back in the groove of normalcy.

 
At Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:45:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Ryan, if you loved him on the Practice, you'll love him on Boston Legal - he's playing the same character.

 
At Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:06:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

LA, I'm so hooked on HGTV, I watch it with picture in picture and also TIVO stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home