Saturday, April 08, 2006

Donnie Darko



It's no secret I love Jake. And as fate would have it, I actually missed a very good opportunity to meet him back in the day. And "the day" was the time he was filming Donnie Darko. I used to house-sit for some people I know who have this fantastic house in the amazing neighborhood where Darko and other well-known movies were filmed. Their house happens to be right across the street from Donnie's house. Sure enough, I house-sat for a couple weeks during the filming of Jake's break-out film. At the time, no one knew who Jake or Maggie Gyllenhaal were. In fact, the buzz around the neighborhood was that it was a Patrick Swayze/Drew Barrymore film, because those were the biggest names in it at the time but who actually had only minor parts. Little did anyone know that Donnie Darko would go on to be a cult classic and that young Jake would be the huge star he is today. The crew was set up right in front of the house in which I was staying, and I walked the dog through the mess every day. Believe it or not, I honestly don't know if I saw Jake. There were trailers and people all over the place, all the time. I'll probably never be so close again.

So today, I took a little ride over to that side of the LBC and shot a few pics. The white house is the Donnie Darko house, and the Tudor below (which is totally fantastic in real life and one of my favorites in the neighborhood)was used as Patrick Swayze's character's house which I guess Donnie tried to set on fire (I still haven't seen the film).



These are all "drive-by" shots, which is why you can see a rear-view mirror in the last shot and part of the interior of my car in the top one. Enjoy!

7 Comments:

At Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:28:00 PM, Blogger Matty said...

What is the LBC? are these in L.A.? Whereabouts? That's cool.

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:29:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Matty - The LBC is Long Beach, yes, the southern-most part of LA County. "The LBC" is a rapper nickname.

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:47:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

LA!! You haven't seen Donnie Darko!? It's a must see!!
My goodness.

I love your house pictures!!

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:50:00 PM, Blogger bird said...

LA you are a great photog!

... you really should see Donnie Darko!

PS How ya doing,anyhow? Miss you. :)

 
At Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:08:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

ffleur - I've always been a house-stalker, it's nothing new.

Flix - Shooting homes is fun, but you never want to get caught! I do a lot of it via auto so I have quick getaway. ;)

Birdie - Thank you! Miss you, too. I'll get back into blogging soon; I'm experiencing a knitting surge.

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2006 6:32:00 PM, Blogger anaKonda said...

Is house stalking a crime?
The houses are beautiful and the gardens are so well kept…It looks like an expensive neighbourhood, everything is so…posh…!

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:10:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ana - This is a REALLY nice neighborhood. These homes are very large and have nice properties. The white house that was Donnie Darko's backs up to a private golf course.

I don't think it's a crime. Breaking and entering is a crime, but I just drove by and shot a picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home