Sunday, April 02, 2006

Remembering JPII

Today marks the one year passing of Pope John Paul II. Despite the fact that I'm a total nonreligious progressive who left the Catholic church years ago, I have a soft spot for JPII. I can't quite explain it, and I'm sure anyone who knows me is stunned reading this. It's no secret that I loathe the church's position on many important issues, and he was certainly a conservative in maintaining some of that doctrine to which I am in such ideological opposition. Nevertheless, something about him warmed my heart. He had humility and kindness, and those are qualities I value. I was very sad when he passed last year.

5 Comments:

At Monday, April 03, 2006 10:04:00 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

He was very brave as a young man in Poland.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 10:34:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

I know, Flix! I loved the stories about his early days. Very inspiring.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 8:03:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

I am a lapsed Catholic as well and I also find him very comforting. He sort of reminds me of my grandpa who I loved dearly. He was a great man.

P.S. I don't like the new pope very much. Some one said he looks and acts like Karl Lagerfeld and I agree.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 8:53:00 PM, Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006 9:31:00 PM, Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Not only was Karol a brave young man in Poland, he was a highly intelligent and well-educated man. I too am a lapsed Catholic (waaaaay lapsed) however, I have a special place in my heart for John Paul II, you see my grandmother was from Poland, and she wept like a baby, she was so proud when he was named Pope. BTW, LA, I LOVE this picture, it is very profound in its quiet strength and gracefulness. Beautiful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home