Monday, May 15, 2006

Jim Bianco

I've found that one of the best side effects of buying a new ipod (and waiting for the Grey's finale part II in 54 minutes) is getting reacquainted with my vast CD collection. And if I may say so myself, damn, I've got great taste in music. So many treasures here that I haven't listened to in ages for no other reason than something else caught my attention and I never got back to it.

One rediscovery is Jim Bianco. I learned about him after my brother and sister-in-law happened upon him one night when they went to see some lesser artist for whom Jim was opening. It was one of those situations where the opening act was better than the featured billing. They knew I'd love him, so the next time they saw him, I went along and we made a night of it. I was very pleasantly surprised (I was semi-worried as my sister-in-law, sweet as she is, has some questionable taste in music, although my brother assured me Jim was solid). Bianco's got a style all his own. I think I'd describe him as a modern-day crooner with a pop edge blended together and poured into a cup of irony. He's a terrific songwriter, and I love the production of his album, Handsome Devil.

One side note. As opposed to some of the other artists featured on my page, I don't know Jim Bianco personally. Never even met him, in fact. I don't know if that makes my recommendation any purer or not, but the fact is, all my musician friends became my friends only after I screened them for talent. I don't want any Britneys or Justins in my circle. Nope, not me.


You can listen to the title track of Handsome Devil here. And below are the lyrics. Enjoy.

did you misplace your halo, sweet angel?
did you think you'd find it here?
where the boys are gladly lonely
but still whisper in your ear
with all their dirty mouths and
all their dirty minds
dirty martini's strangled at the spine
you're chewing on your tongue-
sucking on your thumb
i can make you numb if i try

tell me you need me so I can
leave you here behind
tell me you need me so I can leave.

go to hell you handsome devil
i know what you're thinkin'
but the joke is laughing at you, boy,
you're so sadly mistaken
your face is wearing thin
i can see right through your skin
passed that boyish little grin that you wear

your dirty little mouth
your dirty little mind
That tries so very hard not to care.

Tell me you need me so I can leave.

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:04:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh My GOSH!! Grey's was awesome. I am awaiting your blog entry

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:23:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Cool song. I always like to hear new music. Not to be a wisenheimer but his voice kind of reminds me of Millhouse's dad from The Simpsons. Remember the episode when he sang, "Can I borrow a feeling..."

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

I think I might need to check these guys out.
They are playing in San Diego in June.

I should put that on my calendar..

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:25:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Trish - I'll write it later! Still thinking about it.

Prunella - I didn't see the episode, but I can imagine. His voice is definitely distinctive.

Mike - I think you'll like him. I also think he plays Lestat's semi-regularly. Check him out and tell me what you think. He's got a great vibe and his songs are very catchy. When I first saw him, I'd never heard the material, but I wasn't bored at all. (I know sometimes it's hard to see an act if you're completely unfamiliar with their songs.)

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:07:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Yeah, I am still upset over heart guy kicking it. He would have been a great character for next season.

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 2:46:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Lestats is where they will be, as a matter o' fact.

It's a school night, though, so I have to weigh my options.
At my age, the witching hour is like 11pm.. :)

 
At Tuesday, May 16, 2006 3:02:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Mike - I totally hear you! Sucks getting a little older.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home