Thursday, July 19, 2007

Emmy Mania

Emmy nominations were announced this morning. I'm going to comment on the main categories plus a few extra that probably won't be televised but are still noteworthy. Please heckle or agree as you see fit. Let's get to them, then, shall we?

Outstanding Drama Series

Boston Legal - Love this show
Grey's Anatomy - Jumped the shark this season, doesn't deserve the nod
Heroes - Don't watch it
House - A little too formula for me, but I think Hugh Laurie is fantastic
The Sopranos - Will win

Outstanding Comedy Series
*Entourage - Love it.
*The Office - Never miss it, always funny, had a great season.
*30 Rock - Very funny the couple times I've seen it. Waiting for the DVD.
Two and a Half Men - Really? I think this show sucks hard.
Ugly Betty - Don't watch regularly.

*I think it will be one of these. Too close to call.

Outstanding Lead Actor on a Drama Series
James Spader, Boston Legal - He's consistently awesome, brings it week after week.
Hugh Laurie, House - He's great.
Denis Leary, Rescue Me - Never seen it.
James Gandolfini, The Sopranos - Will win and probably deserves it.
Kiefer Sutherland, 24 - Oh, do I have a story about this guy. Go here and scroll down to get to the diary entry dated April 18. "Kipper" is code for Jack.

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
*Ricky Gervais, Extras - In my Netflix queue, but I hear great things about his performance in Extras.
Tony Shaloub, Monk - Never seen or heard about this.
*Steve Carell, The Office - Great.
*Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock - Great.
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men - The fuck? NO!

*I think it will be one of these. Too close to call.


Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters - I like this show, and Sally is doing a great job as the matriarch.
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer - Never seen.
Mariska Hargitay, Lay & Order: SVU - Never seen.
Patricia Arquette, Medium - Never seen.
Minnie Driver, The Riches - I hope she wins, she's great in this. Why wasn't Eddie Izzard nominated?
Edie Falco, The Sopranos - Could have an edge as I think there could be a Sopranos sweep.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Houswives - NO! DH should get ZERO nominations!
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine - Probably not.
Tina Fey, 30 Rock - I think she's gonna take it.
America Ferrara, Ugly Betty - Didn't she win last year?
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds - Never seen it, but I know she's already won.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

*Kevin Dillon, Entourage - My favorite guy on the show, tough competition.
*Jeremy Piven, Entourage - Piven is Ari Gold. I think the Entourage vote might split between Dillon and Piven.
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother - Completely over-rated.
*Rainn Wilson, The Office - I think Rainn's gonna win.
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men - FUCK NO!

* Too close to call.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
William Shatner, Boston Leagal - This is my pick. I know a lot of you don't watch this terrific show, but Shatner has created an iconic character in Denny Crane.
TR Knight, Grey's Anatomy - NO!!!! He seems like a good guy, and I'm sorry he got outed by a jackass cast mate, but he's NOT an Emmy-quality actor. Sorry, TR.
Masi Oka, Heroes - Doubtful, but he used to have a recurring role in Scrubs, so I kinda like this guy.
Michael Emerson, Lost - Don't watch it.
Terry O'Quinn, Lost - Don't watch it.
Michael Imporioli, The Sopranos - Might benefit from Sopranos sweep.

Oustanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Jaime Pressly, My Name is Earl - Jesus, I don't think so!
Jenna Fischer, The Office - Team Pam!
Holland Taylor, Two and a Half Men - This show SUCKS!
Conchata Ferrell, Two and a Half Men - See above.
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty - She's plays evil very well. I think she could win.
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds - Don't watch it, no comment.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Rachel Griffiths, Brothers and Sisters - Love the show, hate her character and performance.
Katherine Heigl, Grey's Anatomy - Weakest Grey's nominee in this category.... no.
*Chandra Wilson, Grey's Anatomy - She plays Bailey well.
*Sandra Oh, Grey's Anatomy - She's excellent. I think she's the best actress on a now-shitty show.
Aida Turturro, The Sopranos - Probably not.
*Lorraine Bracco, The Sopranos - She'll probably win.

A couple extra categories I'm interested in:

Outstanding Directing For A Comedy Series
30 Rock • The Breakup • Scott Ellis, Director
Entourage • One Day In The Valley • Julian Farino, Director - Definitely a strong episode.
Extras • Episode 1 - Orlando Bloom • Ricky Gervais, Director, Stephen Merchant, Director
Scrubs • My Musical • Will Mackenzie, Director - This was awesome. I hope to God it wins!
The Office • Gay Witch Hunt • Ken Kwapis, Director - A great episode of The Office!
Ugly Betty • Pilot • Richard Shepard, Director

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series
Entourage • Martin Landau, Martin Landau as Bob Ryan - Please let Martin Landau win!
Extras • Sir Ian, Sir Ian McKellen as Himself
Monk • Stanley Tucci, Stanley Tucci as David Ruskin
My Name is Earl • Beau Bridges, Beau Bridges as Carl Hickey
My Name Is Earl • Giovanni Ribisi, Giovanni Ribisi as Ralph Mariano

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series
Boston Legal • Christian Clemenson, Christian Clemenson as Jerry "Hands" Espenson - This guy was so great that he's going to be a regular cast member this season.
ER • Forest Whitaker, Forest Whitaker as Curtis Ames
House • David Morse, David Morse as Michael Tritter
Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip • Eli Wallach, Eli Wallach as Eli Weintraub
Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip • John Goodman, John Goodman as Judge Robert Bebe
The Sopranos • Tim Daly, Tim Daly as J.T. Dolan


Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics
Family Guy • Peter's Two Dads • Fox • Fuzzy Door Productions in association with Fox TV Animation
Walter Murphy, Music
Danny Smith, Lyrics

MADtv • 1209 • Fox • Girl Group Co.
Bruce McCoy, Lyricist
Greg O'Connor, Music Composer
Jim Wise, Composer/Lyricist

Saturday Night Live • Host: Justin Timberlake - Song title: ÒDick In A BoxÓ
Katreese Barnes, Music By
Andy Samberg, Lyrics By
Akiva Schaffer, Lyrics By
Jorma Taccone, Music & Lyrics By
Asa Taccone, Music By
Justin Timberlake, Music & Lyrics By

Scrubs • My Musical: Song Title: ÒEveryting Comes Down to PooÓ
Debra Fordham, Lyrics by
Robert Lopez, Lyrics by, Music by
Jeff Marx, Lyrics by, Music by

Scrubs • My Musical - Song Title: ÒGuy LoveÓ
Paul F. Perry, Lyrics by, Music by
Debra Fordham, Lyrics by


These three were genius. Any one of them; or better yet, a 3-way tie!

4 Comments:

At Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:09:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I love Two And A half Men!! I think much of it has to do with me being a guy, and it's completely PIC. (As opposed to PC. You know what I mean.) Men need to be able to laugh at their own situation, in thier own terms. Charlie Sheen has created a brilliant character study of the American male.

I think there is a confusion that the show simply reflects Sheen's personal life. That isn't true.

 
At Friday, July 20, 2007 7:30:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

The Sopranos will have a good night. I'm still in season three, but it's just a well-made show.

I will not be able to die happy until I have my own Kiefer Sutherland story that rivals the one you linked to, LA.

 
At Friday, July 20, 2007 7:54:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Like Flix, I actually like 2 1/1 men too, and I think both Sheen and Cryer are good. la - you've got to check out Monk - last week Sarah Silverman guested as his stalker neighbor - this week Snoop Dogg guest stars.

The Closer is a pretty good show too.

it kills me that there were no nominations for The Wire or Dexter.

I LOVE the Office, but I think 30 Rock is the best comedy on tv these days

 
At Friday, July 20, 2007 10:30:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Flix and Diane - I know I'm in the minority regarding 2.5 Men. In fact, because I know so many people who like it, I've probably watched a dozen or more episodes, giving it "one more chance." Unfortunately, it's just not happening for me.

Diane - I've watched 30 Rock on your recommendation, so if Monk is on a cable channel I get, I'll be happy to give it a try. I can't wait for 30 Rock to come out on DVD because I want to watch it in order, in its entirety.

Mish - Isn't that story a scream? I heard the story in person first, and then a few days later, it appeared on his blog, and I was cracking up at the "Kipper" moniker. I guess the "Kipper" is a mess in real life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home