Monday, July 02, 2007

Two Funerals and a Period, Redux

I realize I’ve written very little lately. My last post, “Two Funerals and a Period,” was brief not because I didn’t want to write about it, but because I was so freaking exhausted, physically and emotionally, from two funerals and a period all within five days’ time.

Briefly, the first funeral was a memorial service for the husband half of my parents’ best friends who died in January. I wrote about it at the time and won’t rehash it here. His widow wanted to have the service at her summer home up at Lake Almanor which is a couple of hours northwest of Reno, driving back into California. It was a fantastic weekend in a gorgeous setting and a true memorial to a life well-lived of a man well-loved. My mom flew in, and we traveled en masse as a family. Actually the day we flew back to Los Angeles, we flew over the Lake Tahoe fire. It was impressive from the air above it, and this was the day before the massive destruction of homes began. I can’t imagine what it looked like the day after we saw it. Anyway, before and while I was traveling, one of my neighbors who wasn’t sick at all collapsed suddenly and was in a coma for a week before she died the night I got home from Reno. Her illness and subsequent demise totally sucker-punched me and the rest of her friends in the neighborhood, not to mention her family. I’ve said it before and it’s worth repeating… shock and grief are two separate things, and her family has a long road ahead.

All in all, the week entailed lots of early mornings and late nights, not to mention travel and elevation changes. Add hormonal shifts to that formula, and I was beat by Friday. I spent the weekend recuperating, my most ambitious activity being hosting my knitting group on Friday afternoon and watching the first season of Entourage on DVD on Saturday.

I had one slightly interesting celebrity sighting last week. I was at my Wednesday night knitting group, and they were filming something in the marina where the yarn shop is located. A couple of us went over to find out what was filming (Entourage). Kevin Dillon walked by us, and he’s not much taller than me (5 foot 2), although I’m sure his IMDB page claims differently. (I just checked, and it says he’s 5 foot 9. That, my friends, is known as fiction.) No sign of Grenier or Piven, and I was disappointed by the absence of the former. I would have enjoyed feasting my eyes on his fineness as I am a fool for dark-haired and –skinned men with light eyes. If I have a “type,” that’s it. Anyway, if you are an Entourage regular, watch for a yacht party scene with the revelers dancing atop the boat and Johnny Drama donning a light-colored suit. LA and the knitting posse were there.

Oh yeah, I saw Knocked Up with my brother, sister-in-law and mother. It was the perfect comedy to see in the middle of an otherwise heavy week, but I should offer this warning. You might not want to see Knocked Up with a parental type sitting next to you. My brother and I were laughing our collective asses off, but some of the pot and sex humor was kind of uncomfortable with our mother sitting between us. And in case you don’t know, there is a scene where they actually show part of the birth. I understand Katherine Heigl was wearing a stunt vagina, but my brother is not yet a father, and he’d never seen a woman crowning before. Good times.

11 Comments:

At Monday, July 02, 2007 1:03:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Great celeb spotting - have you sent it in to defamer?????? I remember when my roommate's sister shared her delivery room photos with me in about 1979. I could have gone the rest of my life without seeing her legs spread open . . . I'm not sayin' birthin' babies ain't a beautiful thing, I just would rather not see the photos

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 4:06:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Sounds like a heavy week. I'm sorry to hear about the sudden death of your neighbour.

Man, I need to start watching Entourage. I feel out of the loop. Also, you and I have the same "type" LA.

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 6:55:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

The coverage of the Lake Tahoe destruction had been intense here. (It seemed unstoppable!!) It must feel strange to have seen that area's tranquil beauty from the air, only to learn what would come next.

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 7:44:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

Sorry for all you've been thru LA. What a week. Hugz!

A friend sent pictures of her home birth. Blood on her thighs. I could have lived my whole life without seeing that. Ugh.

Have you seen the Page6 item about Lindsay Buckingham? A story from his rowdy past and a hilarious item about what he said to Kenny Rogers.

I have an idea. Because I loved your analytical approach to the Toothy Tile question, would you do the same for Fake-a-la-Ferocity? In his column today, Ted said nyet
to: Sharon Stone, Jenna Jameson, Jessica Simpson, Sarah Jessica Parker and Madonna.

Frankly, I think its Angelina Jolie so I'm checking to be sure he doesn't discount her. Then we will know it IS her. Just like he's never said Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't Toothy Tile. I'm sure people have guessed that, but Ted never posts those letters, therefore he never has to deny.

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 7:52:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

i'm really sorry to hear about your neighbor. that's never something that is easy to deal with, especially out of the blue like that.

i was temping downtown last summer and they were always filming entourage in the area. the place i worked was always scouted out for exterior shots. i spotted grenier, who was standing not more than two feet away from me at one point, and if your type is exotic-looking metrosexual wookies with bad posture, then he's your guy! haha

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 8:42:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - That book they are referencing on Page Six has been on my Amazon wish list for months. I cannot wait to read it. Lindsey was a bad, bad boy when he was young.

And that blind vice is TOTALLY Angelina. The description fits at every turn.

Damn Kitty! That's why I hate seeing these guys in real life. It totally spoils the fantasy.

 
At Monday, July 02, 2007 10:46:00 PM, Blogger v said...

Yeah, definitely a tough, exhaustive, and sad week. Hopefully you are feeling better, or as well as can be.

PS - The KNOCKED UP/40 YEAR-OLD VIRGIN crew have a couple flicks in the oven. I think two open later this year (SUPERBAD, WALK HARD) and a couple others next year (THE PINEAPPLE EXPRESS, FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL). In any case, def movies to keep an eye out for.

 
At Tuesday, July 03, 2007 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

"and if your type is exotic-looking metrosexual wookies with bad posture, then he's your guy"

Thanks for the chuckle, kitty!

 
At Tuesday, July 03, 2007 2:29:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I'm with you on the dark haired - light eyed men. Yum! That's my type too.

Hope this week will be better.

 
At Wednesday, July 04, 2007 9:48:00 PM, Blogger v said...

Hope you had a nice 4th LA!

 
At Thursday, July 05, 2007 10:25:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. :(
That was an up and down week for sure.
Glad you enjoyed some laughter though with the movie. I really enjoyed it as well..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home