Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Deserted Island Meme

I was tagged by Prunella, which is dreadful because she's a tough act to follow. Nevertheless, I must answer the question, "if you were left alone on a deserted island, which celebrity would you choose to spend time with?" Since Pru tagged me, I'm going to feel free to plagarize her a bit by not narrowing my answer down to one.

The choices:

Lindsey Buckingham. Like you didn't see this coming. I'm 44 years old which means I've been in a groupie state of mind for 40, yes, that's 40 years. I started at age 4 with The Monkees (and for the record, I liked Mickey and Mike, not that pansy Davey). I've had many, many rock star fantasy boyfriends over the years, but no one has managed to knock Lindsey out of his #1 position. He just does it for me.

For the purposes of this meme, the caveat here is that he'd have to have his guitar with him on the island and several sets of spare strings.

Jon Hamm. It's time for my weekly Mad Men pitch. If you're not watching this show, you're not only missing out on some straight-up first class programming, but perhaps more importantly, you are depriving yourself of the hotness that is Jon Hamm.

I happened to catch him on Kimmel last night, and Jon's definitely the rising star in the short-lived world of my celebrity crushes. (When's the last time you heard me mention Jake Gyllenhaal? It truly is a short-lived world.) Besides having rakishly good looks, he has that other quality that I'm a sucker for... a deep smooth speaking voice. Listening to him talk is the aural equivalent of eating fine dark chocolate.

As opposed to Lindsey, here's one you probably didn't see coming... John C. McGinley, or as I like to call him, Dr. Cox. I think for the sake of the meme, I might need him to actually be in character on the island. It's Perry Cox I've got the hots for, plus, it would be good to have a physician on staff in case I come down with malaria or something. But let's face it, Johnny C. is the man who made Cox Cox. I love his swagger, I love his neurotic narcissism, I love his brains, I love his sarcasm, and I love his tough-guy-with-a-heart-of-gold routine. Oh, Dr. Cox, why can't you be real and living here in Long Beach, California?

The Professor from Gilligan's Island. Smart, charming, hard-working, makes radios out of coconuts and laboratories out of straw and bamboo, what's there not to love about The Professor? He'd be our best chance for rescue, and failing that, he'd be fun to have around for some intellectual banter. And maybe I could succeed where Ginger and Mary Ann fell short. The seduction of The Professor is still up for grabs.

So this was fun, and now I have the delicious task of tagging others. Here they are: Ffleur, Mishy, Ryan, and Norm.

I'm leaving tomorrow to visit my mother for the long weekend, and I'll be back sometime next week. Pray my cramps are gone by the time I board the airplane in the morning. I hate flying enough as it is, and the idea of running around airports changing planes (can't fly direct to where she lives) while my midsection is on fire is enough to fill my heart with darkness.

Cheers!

11 Comments:

At Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:25:00 PM, Blogger Memphis said...

OK, first of all, my sister would be right there with you on the subject of Lindsey Buckingham. She's a big Fleetwood Mac fan and always enjoyed following the neverending saga of Stevie and Lindsey - will they or won't they ever work it out?

Never have I seen anyone say they were in love with Dr. Cox. You are the first. But he is funny as hell. That whole show is funny as hell. And when they had Heather Graham as a guest character I was in heaven.

I tried to list Mary Ann as one of my choices, but I couldn't find any good sexy photos of her. So I ended up dropping her. Ah well, Jessica Biel ain't bad either.

So well done, madam! That was fun!

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:31:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Great choices! And hope the trip goes as well as possible!

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2007 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

The Professor was a total failure, though.. :)

 
At Friday, August 31, 2007 6:21:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I see by your choices you will have laughter, music, and intellectual conversation on your island. Sounds like heaven!

Have a good trip.

 
At Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:31:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Yes, Dr. Cox is funny, but I'd kill myself if I had to look at JCM's giant head all the time while stuck on an island. And even if he WAS in character, can you imagine how annoying the rants would get after the first...hour?

 
At Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:31:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Oh, but definitely DITTO on Jon Hamm. ::drools::

 
At Sunday, September 02, 2007 6:15:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

oh LA, I'm sending you a sympathy hug. Cramps, flying and your mother? How much can one small woman take?

Mad Men continues to intrigue. The last episode was very interesting. I cannot believe the psychiatrist made a report to the husband! What happened to client medical confidentiality? Just because hubby is paying doesn't mean he gets a report? In your medical experience, do you know if that happened and if so, when did the rules/law change?

Jon Hamm is gorgeous but I think I prefer him with the slicked back hair. I had to look hard at your posted pic to recognize him. He truly is transformed when playing Don.

I took your tag and wrote a post. Since you already snatched up Lindsay (he does play guite and sing like an angel) I had to go for someone else. Check it out when you get back.

 
At Sunday, September 02, 2007 9:12:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Norm is not going to liked being tagged, LA!! He's been chasing beavers with a stick.

 
At Monday, September 03, 2007 12:23:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Good choices, LA. The professor would probably have much more luck getting his inventions to work without Gilligan around. He fell on and broke many coconut radios. My post will be up soon!

 
At Wednesday, September 05, 2007 3:31:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - I honestly don't know when doctor-patient confidentiality laws went into effect, but yes, I think that used to happen (a psychiatrist giving a report to a family member). Don't forget, it used to be pretty easy to "commit" someone to a mental institution. Now, it's not easy at all (nor should it be).

Whenever the laws changed, it certainly predates my foray into the health care industry (1996).

 
At Wednesday, September 05, 2007 4:07:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

Thanks for your answer LA. Yeah, pretty scary people could commit so easily. I'm reading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". The author was committed and the court decided he was "insane". Therefore he was given shock treatments 28 times in a row in the early 1960's. Completely lost his memory. He says it was another personality but I'd say it was memory. Anyway, he was discharged and went back to his wife and kids. How would he know them if he lost his memory? He wrote the book in 1974 and after reading 200 pages of him trying to define "quality" I'd have to say in my completely unprofessionaly opinion - he is still crazy. No one could be that obsessed with the definition of a word and be sane.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home