Saturday, August 11, 2007

An Addict's Lament

I've been under the weather all week. It started Tuesday when I was thinking to myself, "I need a new desk chair, this one is getting really uncomfortable." In actuality, the body aches were setting in. I had a sore throat by Wednesday morning which was only worse come Thursday. On Friday, I finally went to see the doctor who actually grimaced upon viewing my pharynx. He's treating me presumptively for Strep throat, and I started antibiotics the same day. Last night, I was miserable. Honestly, I feel like I've swallowed a dozen razor blades, it hurts so badly. Which brings me to my real problem, how do I get my intake of caffeine if I can barely swallow? You see, I'm a coffee addict. I don't drink tons of it, although I used to. I've managed to cut down on my habit considerably, but I still can't shake my daily fix. If I don't get my hit every morning, I'll have a screaming headache by noon. And that would only compound my ailments (like when they tried to weigh me at the doctor's office and I told them, "look, I feel bad enough already," and refused to step on the scale). So it's pushing 10:00 a.m., and even though coffee sounds terrible to me right now (and a caffeinated soda sounds worse), I knew I had to somehow choke down a cup. I'm doing just that - iced - as I sit here typing this, knowing that as soon as I'm finished, I'll move this party to the living room where you'll fine me supine the rest of the day.

7 Comments:

At Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:03:00 AM, Blogger ffleur said...

ugh! I had strep throat a couple times as a kid/teen. Razor blades sounds about right.

Dissolve a couple of asprins in warm water and gargle. Its foul but it must work because my mom always gave it to me.

Feel better soon sweetie.

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:32:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Iced coffee was all I could think of to suggest - even better? Blend up some coffee with vanilla ice cream!

 
At Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:52:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

So sorry to hear about your throat. I hope by the time you read this comment you're feeling better.

I know what you mean about getting a headache if don't get a caffeine fix.

Take care . . .

 
At Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Poor LA! I hope you are feeling better today. Try drinking some very hot tea. Put in three tea bags to get maximum caffeine.

 
At Sunday, August 12, 2007 3:41:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

If you need to perk up and can't get the caffeine, I suggest cocaine. Not only will you be WIDE awake, and probably unable to concentrate enough to GET a headache, by snorting it, you won't even have to swallow. You're welcome.

 
At Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:07:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I think editthis might have also given the same advice to Lindsay Lohan.

Feel better soon, LA. Strep sucks. Maybe some non-herbal tea? Soothing with just enough of a kick to keep you going.

 
At Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:42:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - I tried the aspirin remedy, and it worked well. Thanks to you and your mom!

Diane - Great idea! My sister brought me over some popsicles, and they felt like a dream.

Dan - Thanks, Dan, I do feel better.

Pru - That's another great idea, one I've never considered. I might try that tomorrow morning, assuming I have some tea.

Edit - Do you know of a drive-thru where I can get some? I haven't showered in a couple days...

Mishy - More good advice. I think I need to stock up on tea for emergencies like this.

All in all, I'm better today (Sunday). My fever is much lower and my throat is only at the 3rd layer of hell. I'm subsisting on chicken soup, popsicles, and cool blue Gatorade. Plus, a morning coffee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home