Sunday, April 16, 2006

Move Over Toothy, Make Room For McDreamy

I'm so tempted to blame Flix for my new obsession with Patrick Dempsey. He wrote a very favorable review for Grey's Anatomy, and so I tuned in to see what it was all about. And he was spot-on. It really is a great show, good writing, rich characters, catchy music, the works. My interest is probably exacerbated by the fact that I love medicine so much that I work for a hospital; but let's face it, the show's success far outweighs its medical audience.

Anyway, in the last several weeks since I started watching it, I've enjoyed the show so much that I went out and bought the first season on DVD. This is where the trouble began. First of all, I've got this obsessive component to my personality that, when I really love something, I can't get enough of it. And this little quirk led to me making the purchase of the first season on DVD one evening after work, going home, and watching the entire first season - nine 1-hour episodes, back-to-back - in its entirety! Yeah, I said it. I'm not proud of it, but it's the truth. It was like Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough. You might start out with a small bowl, but you're gonna end up eating the damn carton in one sitting, it's that good.

And so it was during this 6-1/2-hour binge of Grey's Anatomy that my obsession with Patrick Dempsey was conceived, reached full gestation, and was born. (For those of you doing the math, a single, one-hour episode is actually 43 minutes; 43 minutes x 9 episodes is 387 minutes, divided by 60 is 6.45 hours.) So not only did I go to bed that night sometime after 3:00 am, delirious and emotionally raw (the show makes me feel, damnit), but I was dreaming of Patrick Dempsey's hotness when I finally put my head down on my pillow.

So as you can see, it's not really fair to blame this entirely on Flix.

But let's face it, Derek Shephard (Dempsey's character) is hotness personified. Those eyes, that smile, that hair, that stubble, that flirty manner, the dry sense of humor, that boyish charm, the way he wields a scalpel around the corpus callosum. God, it's just intoxicating! There's a reason they call him Dr. McDreamy. And damnit, Sunday nights can't come fast enough for me!

So move over, Jake. McDreamy's star is rising in my sky.

11 Comments:

At Sunday, April 16, 2006 5:42:00 PM, Blogger anaKonda said...

Uhmmm…definitely very sexey!!!
Wouldn’t mind studying his anatomy…;)

 
At Sunday, April 16, 2006 6:02:00 PM, Blogger JC said...

DAMN We were SO close to guess weren't we Getflix? By the way, you've created a monster man!!!

Anyway dear LA, I encourage you to focus more on McDreamy and less on Jake G. He is more interesting, a lot less annoying, not overexposed, and he acts in the best sitcom ever...

 
At Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:02:00 PM, Blogger Avid Diva said...

Call me a traitor, but I want to see more of McSteamy. :D

 
At Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:47:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

I did a little digging, and here's the scoop on the second picture. While it's true he's not McDreamy, his name is Patrick Dempsey. I found him doing a google image search, and thought he was hot and that it might be our Patrick. I'm gonna leave him up since he looks good. He kinda has a Billy Crudup thing going on. Enjoy!

http://www.photo.net/shared/portrait.tcl?user_id=1717776

 
At Monday, April 17, 2006 7:33:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Patrick was married to Rocky Parker from 1987-1994 and yes, she was 27 years older than him. Oh yeah, and in that marriage, his stepson was older than him. Crazy, no? Even more crazy, he met Rocky because she was his best friend's (the now step-son) mom. His best friend's MOM??? Can you imagine your best friend being your new step-dad? I would imagine that may cause some problems.

Can you imagine the weird power dynamics that could happen in a family like that? Keifer Sutherland also had a similar first marriage where his step daughter was rather close in age to him when he married her mother. Nothing like Patrick's though!

 
At Monday, April 17, 2006 8:03:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - Mishy basically rehashes everything I know (thanks Mish!), and all I know I got from his IMDB profile here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001131/

Here's Rocky Parker's profile. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0662585/

I guess I'm even more shocked that they were married 7 years and not 7 minutes!

Still waters and all that...

Madsyd - Thanks for the props. Glad you found your way here!

McDreamy!

 
At Monday, April 17, 2006 11:09:00 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

It's the best!

(Don't feel bad about watching a whole DVD series at one sitting, LA. I've done it before, too!)

 
At Monday, April 17, 2006 4:26:00 PM, Blogger bird said...

Ooooh.. LA's got a boyfriend! (sing-songy voice)

 
At Monday, April 17, 2006 8:05:00 PM, Blogger Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

I developed a crush on him after the movie Fleur mentioned above 'Can't buy me love'. And 'Loverboy' was very very funny. He's great fun to look at :) Not so crazy on the second photo, if it's him or not. He looks like he's getting ready to shoot up in the bathroom with his arm all stretched out like that. But, that's me... and I'm seedy that way :)

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:01:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

God he is soo hot. I would hit it 6 ways from Sunday. My sister and I always do marathons on our days off, so dont feel ashamed. We bond and catch up on our TV. Everyone is happy.


Putas

 
At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:47:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I love Patrick, but my favorite is George, played by T.R. Knight!
Yummy Yummy Screw Screw!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home