Sunday, March 26, 2006

SuperPlate, 3/25

Dave (my brother) on vocals, Frank on bass.

SuperPlate was seriously fun last night. The band was in rare form and played their hearts out and the sound quality was stellar, which is a vast improvement for Harry O's. (A year ago, the sound quality was pathetic; six months ago, it was improved but not "good.")

I sang my old standard, No Doubt's Just A Girl, a perennial favorite, midway through the second set. I was pleased with my performance, but I must have been really into it because I got winded by the end of the song; I think my adrenaline was totally pumping. I was later called back on-stage to sing the high-part of Journey's "Anyway You Want It" for which I was completely unprepared, but the song went off well anyway, in part due to Raffi's shred solo.


My brother killed on American Idiot, he totally got into some Billie Joe Armstrong-style "hamming" on stage. Actually, American Idiot was probably Frank's best song, too, but he was hopping all over the place (including in the audience) and has so much charisma that it almost doesn't matter how he plays, everyone always loves him. Rob sounded great on Don't Change (INXS).

Celebrity sighting: Phil Jackson (Lakers' coach) and his girlfriend, Jeannie Buss, dining with friends two tables away at Poncho's, Manhattan Beach.

The only bummer was that none of my friends showed up. They didn't make strong commitments, but I thought I'd have a little showing this year. Some of them have gotten pretty middle-aged and boring, but I only ask them to come out to this once a year. I was sad that none of them was there to hear me sing. But some random guy hugged me and told me he loved me at the end of the night, so I guess I'm still gold.

9 Comments:

At Monday, March 27, 2006 12:01:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - All bars, restaurants, and clubs in California are nonsmoking! It's awesome!

SuperPlate started in 1990 as my brother's college band. After they graduated (1993), nothing happened for awhile. They eventually started playing together again around 1997-98, but with two guys in San Diego and two guys in LA, they would only play 2-3x a year. Now, at 35-36 years old, the logistics of careers, wives, children, and the 2-city distance have them pretty much down to once a year, twice if we're lucky. They're a cover band, no original material, so it's not like anyone is trying to make it as a rock star or anything. It's a lot of fun!

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006 8:08:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds fun, and why the blue jumpsuits?? :)

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006 9:36:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

trish - just to be funny!

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006 9:56:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well it certainly looks fun!! I live in Austin, so I get to see lots of "garage" bands and just all kinds. Sigh, I love it here!! :)

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006 6:34:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

It looks like such a fun show. LA if I lived in SoCal I would have gone.:(

 
At Monday, March 27, 2006 8:54:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Pix - We'd love to have you party with us!

 
At Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:17:00 PM, Blogger bird said...

Damn it I wish I was there ...seems like it sounded great!

My hub loves Journey..he wouldv'e rocked out!


LA you are too cool, I'd never have the nerve to sing in front of everyone. :)

 
At Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:26:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

No Blondie??

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:26:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Can you believe it, Flix? NO BLONDIE!

Bird - Join us next time! Journey was awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home