Friday, June 02, 2006

More Nonsense

Yeah, I'm uploading more music to my Ipod this morning. You're probably sick of these posts, but I can't help it. So instead of listing the random CDs I'm uploading, I'll just provide some stream-of-consciousness commentary instead.

First off, you know who still sounds fresh today, more than a dozen years later? Blind Melon. They sound great, in fact. I don't know who their bass player is, and he probably has never done anything since Blind Melon, but he's the shit. He's completely rocking that band. I have no choice but to compare Shannon Hoon's vocals to those of Jon Anderson. Since Hoon is gone, it would be fun to hear Anderson sing a Blind Melon song, something like Galaxie from Soup. Anyway, in case you're wondering who is photographed, it's two singers dead from heroin overdoses, Blind Melon's Shannon Hoon kissing Alice in Chains' Layne Staley. Two great voices gone, what a waste.

Second up, seven years later, I still love Chris Cornell's solo album, Euphoria Morning. I remember listening to it when it was first released and wondering about the state of his marriage to Susan Silver, Soundgarden manager and the reason Soundgarden disbanded. Sure enough, they (Chris and Susan) split soon thereafter. Personal dissatisfaction sounds as good as ever on this album.

I damn near passed on uploading 10,000 Maniacs. But I did it anyway, maybe because of the song Jezebel. Not really the song, just the title. I don't know, but I'm not that excited by 10,000 Maniacs anymore. I remember years ago complaining to an ex-boyfriend that I was pretty sure I had dated 10,000 maniacs. He actually had the balls to laugh.

I didn't actually buy Stevie Nicks' "Time Space," but rather, my sister told me she was either going to sell her copy back to the Wherehouse or I could have it. So I took it, probably because I never bothered to replace a lot of my old Stevie solo vinyl with CD. Anyway, Time Space represents the Stevie Nicks I'm a bit uncomfortable with. To be honest, I have a bit of a love/hate thing going with her. I mean, I totally love her, don't get me wrong, but there are aspects of Stevie that I hate, and I hate them because they are so prominent in myself, so it's not that I really hate these parts of her, but I hate the mirror she holds up to me. Are you following all this psychobabble? Point is, even when she was making some music that I find of questionable quality, the druggiest of her drug years, arguably the most tragic part of her life, she was still working with some freaking NAMES in music. And that gives me hope. (Some of the names - Jamie West-Oram, Tony Levin, Jimmy Iovine, Rupert Hine, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Stan Lynch, Jon Bon Jovi, Tico Torres, Russ Kunkel, Steve Lukather, Waddy Wachtel, Bobbye Hall, Roy Bittan, Bret (haha) Michaels, and others.) (I'm opting to skip the name Tom Petty since word is he's making noise about suing the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a very questionable case of plagarism, and it bears mentioning that the song the Chilis recorded and the Petty song in question were both produced by Rick Rubin, so Petty's empty threats are really lame.) Okay, what just happened there? A tangent fueled only on caffeine and a passion for music. Fuck me, I'm a freak.

One of my favorite soundtracks ever continues to be the one from In The Name Of The Father. And I wept like a baby at the end of that film, I couldn't even leave the theater.

My favorite U2 CDs are War and The Unforgettable Fire.

3 Comments:

At Friday, June 02, 2006 12:47:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE 10,000 MANIACS! whatever happened to natalie merchant? i have just discovered this new artist, corinne bailey rae. sort of has this acoustical boho vibe. if you get a chance, check her out and let me know what you think! my favorite soundtrack is from the last temptation of christ and the long walk home. peter gabriel takes me to my happy place.

ps love music. you can never go wrong talking about it.

 
At Friday, June 02, 2006 3:41:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I just bought Pearl Jams "rearviewmirror" and I can't stop playing it. Pearl Jam is one of those bands I used to love and then kind of forgot about for awhile. They rock live too. I love the expressions Eddie makes when he sings.

 
At Friday, June 02, 2006 11:09:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

My 2 favorite U2 records as well.

You know, I actually had Boy on vinyl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home