Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Countdown to Zero

So, I'm leaving Friday to visit my mother in the Midwest. The trip itself is a separate post entirely, and this post is about the idiot schedule I put myself on beginning October 1.

Not that I'm always successful in this particular endeavor, but when I travel, I enjoy coming home to a really clean house. So I thought I'd do some deep cleaning around here before this particular journey, especially in light of the fact that time slips away this time of year, and I know damn well I'm going to get back, go to sleep, wake up, and it will be Christmas. Since housework isn't exactly my forte, I devised a strategy in which I would take baby steps to achieve my goal, make a schedule and accomplish a single task a day. Photographed is the schedule that went into effect October 1st and is taped to my home office door.

So here's the sad truth. I got about 50 percent of it done. But I also ended up doing some things that weren't on the list. Like, I cleaned out some drawers and cupboards, threw out shopping receipts and paycheck stubs from the early 90s (I'm not kidding), and sent out a couple large bags of items to charity. I also read a really good book, listened to lots of music, watched plenty of television, surfed the internet, wrote myriad emails, and engaged in many telephone conversations.

Yes, I procrastinated to the point of having two days remaining before D-day. Developing...

15 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:04:00 AM, Blogger prettykitty said...

yowza! i would have just hired a cleaning service for the mundane, leaving plenty of time for television and web surfing. well, at least you got your spring cleaning done early.

how long will you be gone for? i hope she doesn't have dial up. (shivering)

i'm gonna miss the eye!

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:44:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

So add all the extra things you did to the list retroactively, and cross those off as accomplished! Sounds to me like you have gotten alot done - and I'm w/ PK - hire a cleaning lady to come in while you're gone!

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:15:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Well, in comparison to what I do, you were a busy girl!

Are the kitties staying at home while you're gone?

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:33:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

I'll be gone five days, and mom has high-speed.

The thing about hiring a cleaning person is then they have to come in my house. Which means I have to clean before they come here. It's an endless loop of hell.

The kitties not only stay home, but their "cousin" (my sister's dog) will be staying with them (my sister and I are traveling together). My neighbor is taking care of the whole zoo.

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:39:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

la - my cleaning lady comes every tuesday - she not only cleans, she does my laundry and IRONS! She can't come next week, and I'm already in a panic . . . seriously, it's the best money you'll ever spend . . .

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 7:13:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

Good going LA! Thats more than I get accomplished all year. Hope your trip goes well.

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 8:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take care of yourself, too.

peace.

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:42:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

I could set up a schedule like that but then I'd just ignore it. Finally its come down to this: dust is my friend. My only friend, since hoomans won't come into my dusty place!

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:05:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I hired a cleaning lady a year ago, I could never go back to cleaning, but that is because I am lazy.

 
At Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:38:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Make sure you pack some of those knitted sweaters!! It's getting cold!!!

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:26:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

la - have as stress-free a trip as you can, and see you when you get back!

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006 12:42:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Hope you have a good trip!

Everyday I make a list of things I need to do cause I like crossing them off when I'm done. If I manage to do half of them it's a great day.

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006 5:22:00 PM, Blogger pelegrim said...

Have a good trip, la. That cleaning calendar looks hellish. I've come to the realization that some people were born to clean and some people were born to pay other people to clean for them.

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006 11:58:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Thanks, all! I'll miss you guys!

 
At Friday, October 20, 2006 6:02:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

Whoa. I'm glad Pelegrim got to see that I am not the only person with OCD. Maybe mine is a tad bit worse, but at least I'm not alone. I don't even want to get into the labels on things and the garage that looks like it's out of Real Simple Magazine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home