Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Zamboni of My Own-ee


BOISE, Idaho (Nov. 22) - Two employees of the city's ice skating rink have been fired for making a midnight fast-food run in a pair of Zambonis.

An anonymous tipster reported seeing the two big ice-resurfacing machines chug through a Burger King drive-through and return to the rink around 12:30 a.m. on Nov. 10. The squat, rubber-tired vehicles, which have a top speed of about 5 mph, drove 1 1/2 miles in all.

The Zamboni operators, both temporary city employees whose names and ages were not released by Parks and Recreation Department, had to negotiate at least one intersection with a traffic light on their late-night creep from Idaho Ice World.

"They were fired immediately," said Parks Department Director Jim Hall. "We're pretty sure it was just the one time. When we interviewed them, they didn't seem to be too concerned about it. I don't think they understood the seriousness of it."

Hall said neither the $75,000 Zambonis nor their $10,000 blades appeared damaged, but the city could charge the employees with operating an unlicensed motor vehicle on a public street.

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:37:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

LOL! Talk about stupid, lazy and irresponsible.

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:03:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Having spent a few hundred nights in Hockey arenas, I have to say that there is something irresistible about a Zamboni . . .

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:10:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I am with Diane. I love them. They make me happy.

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:36:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Man I would have enjoyed seeing a zamboni chugging down the street!

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 1:18:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Sounds like just another day in Hickville!

I too, find myself strangely drawn to a zamboni.

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 2:56:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

OK, I find this hilarious. True, they should be fired for potentially harming an expensive piece of machinery but man, wouldn't it have been funny to see the expression on the face of the person in the takeout window?

And..did they order soda, no ice? LOL (we can make our own! slaps knee)

Thank you, I've had my moment (Grandpa Simpson)

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:34:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

LA - Do you know how much joy that picture of Snoopy on the Zamboni makes me?

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:35:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

*brings to me?* oops!

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 9:37:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

OMG - I am having the worst editing skills this evening!!!

LA - Do you know how much joy that picture of Snoopy on the Zamboni brings me?

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:52:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

i like the word zamboni. i don't know about driving it, but it sounds delicious!!

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 11:53:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ryan - As much as it brings me. It's a classic.

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:38:00 AM, Blogger EditThis said...

Like Diane, I've spent a few hundred nights of my own in ice rinks, and can testify to the general stoner mentality of the guys who drive the Zamboni's. Since fast food was involved, I'm sure that was the case.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home