Monday, July 23, 2007

Mental Health

Did you guys know Sarah McLachlan is nuts? I read in a magazine that she named her new baby daughter Taa-Jah. Yeah, I’m thinking that royalties from Sarah’s next record should go straight into “Taa-Jah’s Eventual Psychotherapy Fund,” because you know when that kid reaches puberty, there will be some rage issues. I speak from experience. I have an unusual name (though it’s more common than Taa-Jah), and I hated my parents for throwing that burden on my shoulders. I was well into adulthood before I had any appreciation for my Hawaiian name while living on the mainland.

Update - Okay, looks like my source - People Magazine - got it wrong, and Sarah's daughter's name is actually Taja, not Taa-Jah. Much better. There's nothing worse than having nonsense do-re-mi syllables for your name.

Speaking of therapy, I should actually consider some mental health assistance myself for the bonehead move I made Friday night. I’ve yet to read or see a single Harry Potter book or movie. That’s not to say I never will; I just haven’t done so to date, and I’m not part of the frenzy. So imagine the look of horror on my face when I entered Barnes & Noble around 9:00 p.m. Friday night to quietly pick up a few books. It was like opening day at Disneyland, except the kids running around, diving into the backs of your knees were garbed in round glasses and maroon and gold scarves instead of mouse ears. Literally, I may well have been navigating through a Chuck E. Cheese on the first Saturday of summer, such was the chaos. It seriously ranks up there in Bad Decisions Potentially Leading to Bodily Injury with the time my friend had gone swimming at the USC pool the afternoon the Rodney King verdict was read.

12 Comments:

At Monday, July 23, 2007 1:00:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Yeah, I heard she's a wack. Kids can be cruel, and I can just imagine how she'll be teased in school.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 4:12:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

That was definitely not a smart move. That kind of moment will make you want to rip your uterus out.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 5:30:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

Sarah's husband is Ashwin Sood, an English-born, Canadian-raised Indian as in far east.

Their first child was called India so maybe their is an Indian influence on the name?

This is what Wikipedia says: "Sarah gave birth to daughter Taja on June 22, 2007".

Taja doesn't sound quite as bad. Wonder which is the correct spelling?

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 6:07:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I have a common name and going through school I always had to have my last initial attached to my name. I always wanted to be just me, without the initial. Names are a sensitive subject. Parents have a big responsibility when they name their kids and sometimes they don't get it. Bob Geldof is a good example with Fifi-Trixibelle.

Richard Gere named his kid Jigme. I don't even know how that is pronounced.

Randy Jackson named his daughter Steveanna. MEAN!

Shannyn Sossaman named her son Audio Science. I mean, really!

People need to be more aware when they give their kids names. Otherwise, they turn 18, change their name and resent their parents for years.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 7:45:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 7:47:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - I got the spelling from People magazine. You are right, it's better if the spelling is Taja, which certainly seems more consistent with other Indian names I know.

Maybe V will come by and set us straight?

Mish - In my generation, there were always three Lisas or Lauries in my class. I felt for them, too. I think the perfect name is interesting and unique enough without making the kid feel like a freak. I always felt like a freak. My last name is fairly long and ethnic, and on the first day of school when the new teachers would take roll, there was always a big dramatic pause when they got to my name because no one could pronounce it (first or last). So humiliating when you're a kid.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 8:16:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

I read somewhere on a web site that an expectant parent should look at the list of most popular names for the last 10 years and don't choose ANY of the top 3. Or else your kid will start kindergarten and be one of many with the same name. See my provinces web site:
http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/babynames/

Emma was the most popular girl's name from 2003 to 2006. Prior to 2003 it came in either 2nd or 3rd. So, lots of Emma's out there right now.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 10:40:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I smugly thought the latest Potter would be in my mail box Saturday morning b/c I thought I had pre-ordered it . . . .

Another bad move? Going to the Federal Courthouse on 9/11 b/c I needed to check a file there, and finding that they weren't welcoming visitors . . .

Sarah may be crazy but she has a voice that can touch you to the core . . .

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:35:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Allow me to repeat here my simple rule for child naming . . .

When you go to the dime store they have (or had) these racks with 2" x 4" mini license plates with kid's names that you would put on your bedroom door. If the name isn't on there, don't pick it for your kid . . . and spelling counts

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:11:00 PM, Blogger v said...

I haven't found anything conclusive, but I'm fairly certain one of the gossip rags got the name's spelling wrong and it has domino'd ever since.

So I'm fairly certain the name is Taja. It seems to be hindi/sanskrit for "crown" and might actually be pronounced Taa-zha.

S-Mac can't be nuts. She's to brilliant of a musician and person.

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:19:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

I was on a job interview right upstairs where Rodney King was doing his infamous, "Can't we all get along?" speech. Not boneheaded, but definitely made for an uncomfortable exit.

BTW: Isn't Sarah's husband of Indian descent?

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:21:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

Whoops, my bad. Just read Ffleur's comment. Also, the name would make sense if it was Taja. But Chris Martin doesn't own an apple orchard, so I can't explain his & Gwyneth's choice of a name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home