Saturday, March 29, 2008

Neener

I don't know what's going on with my cats and their tongues lately, here are two out of three drooling like the village idiot.

Haven't blogged lately, not too much going on.

Listening: Funeral by Arcade Fire. Recommend.

Also listening: Random Nina Simone tunes that I've picked up on various soundtracks and single-song downloads. She kind of snuck up on me, and it turns out, I'm a fan. What an amazing voice.

Watching: Freaks & Geeks on DVD. This is a Judd Apatow-written/produced series that came out in 1999 during my 20-year television hiatus, so I'm watching it now for the first time and totally digging it. It takes place in a suburban Detroit high school in the early 80s (totally my generation) and follows a group of geeks and freaks (stoners, as they were called at my school at the time). Like The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up, it has the signature Apatow one-two punch of dry humor and heart that is totally irresistable to me. Not to mention the fact that it's filled with music from my generation and I'm completely in love with Jason Segel's character, Nick, who is a drummer and a Zeppelin freak. Highly recommend.

Reading: Just finished a (the only) biography about Millicent Fenwick, the real-life congresswoman upon whom the Doonesbury character Lacey Davenport was based. Millicent was a pipe-smoking, blue-blooded New Jersey Republican whose main interest was social justice and public service. Intrigued? She was a fascinating woman. The bio read a little dry and academic-sounding, nevertheless, it was well-written and well-researched.

Recently finished reading: The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. Highly recommend.

Currently reading: Things I Overhead While Talking to Myself by Alan Alda.

On deck: The Powers That Be by David Halberstam.

(Notice the complete lack of fiction in my reading lately.)

Now for a public service announcement. And my apologies to those of you who love this book, but this is my blog, and I gotta call it as I feel it. If I can save even one person from reading the menace to society that is Eat, Pray, Love, my life's work here on earth will be complete. I know that Oprah has been pumping it up, but that doesn't mean you should waste your time with this self-absorbed tripe. Oprah is the devil and she recommends The Secret, for chrissake. Divorce yourself from Oprah. She has her best interest at heart, not yours. And Eat, Pray, Love is as self-serving as Oprah and her ilk.

7 Comments:

At Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:54:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

LA - I couldn't agree more with your assessment of HARPO/OPRAH. I have blogged about my hatred of the self-proclaimed "Queen" a handful of times on my blog. I do however like two of her contributors on her show, Nate Berkus, the design guy and Lisa Ling.

 
At Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:38:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

People, okay . . . women have often gushed in unguarded moments of the power of O. (And I am not talking the wet climax kind, although I wish I was.)

I have never actually watched the show, with the exception of short clips. (Tommy on the couch is worth viewing.) But it all seems a bit boring . . . ?

Freaks and Geeks!! LOL.

 
At Sunday, March 30, 2008 10:15:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

It scares me what sort of sheep people turn into when Oprah says "jump." I respect her success, but jeez...

LOVE Freaks and Geeks! It also stars the same people you see over and over again in his films.

Thanks for the reading recommendations.

 
At Tuesday, April 01, 2008 1:54:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Oprah always picks the most boring books.

Love the kitty cat tongue.

 
At Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:15:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

I was a huge fan of Oprah until she got so full of herself. I did read a couple of recommended books in the earlier stages of the book club. But just because she says to read some tripe like Eat Pray Love doesn't mean I'm gonna do it. Love her makeover shows and anything with Nate Berkus!

 
At Friday, April 04, 2008 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I have never been a member of the Oprah army . . .

I don't know anyone w/ anything good to say about Eat, Pray, Love...

Love Freaks and Geeks

Very cute kitties!

 
At Monday, April 14, 2008 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

I LOVED Freaks and Geeks.
That was a great show that was not on long enough.
Got a good cult following on DVD, though.
I guess in the end it's better to go out with a whole lot of people loving it than jumping the shark.. :)

Kittie drool when they get a little older, BTW. pretty normal.
People seem to do the same.
:P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home