Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Baby Watch

There's no sign of my niece yet. The official due date is still two weeks away, and my sister-in-law's doctor told her this week he thinks she'll be going to full term or later!

Later? WTF? No one consulted me on that!

I can assure you that I can't wait one day past her due date or I will surely (I typed surly at first... not a bad slip... I am getting surly) die of anticipation.

About a week ago, my SIL was having those Braxton Hicks contractions (false labor) which my brother promptly renamed Taylor Hicks contractions, painful and nothing satisfying to show for it. /rimshot

I had jury duty today. For the first time in a long time, I had to report to the court house (I usually get call-in service and never have to actually show up anywhere). At any rate, I was summoned down to superior court which is where they try the big felonies, and that always makes me nervous. The only time I've served in the past was about 15 years ago. It was a civil case, neither the defendant nor the plaintiff was a particularly sympathetic character, and so it was extremely easy to apply the law. We found for the defendant because the plaintiff failed to meet the burden of proof.

Today I came very close to being an alternate on a case, but at the last minute, one of the attorneys thanked me for my service and dismissed me. I was disappointed because it was the perfect case for me. The defendant was charged with a few misdemeanors, and the attorneys wanted to ensure that the potential jurors wouldn't be so offended by "cussing and inflammatory language" that it would cloud their ability to be fair and impartial jurors. I gotta admit, I'm both immature and bold enough to admit that cussing and inflammatory language in open court is exactly the kind of environment I would happily embrace.

Reading the new David Sedaris, highly recommend. He describes Normandy as "basically just like West Virginia but without the possums." Gold.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:09:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I just bought that book. Can't wait to dive into it!

Too bad you didn't get the jury duty, that case sounds like fun. Cussing is always great but now I'm wondering exactly what they consider inflammatory language. Whatever it is, it would surely make staying awake through the trial a little easier.

 
At Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:39:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I've only been called to jury duty one time since moving to Orange County nearly 9 years ago. I thought it would have been a perfect case for me, but I was not called from the pool to sit in the box. I used to be called every 2 to 3 years when I lived in L.A. County.

 
At Thursday, June 12, 2008 1:02:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Your whole family must be excited!!

I've only been called for jury duty once, and it was on the day before I moved to a new town. (So I was no longer qualified.)

Cussin' can be fun!!

 
At Friday, June 13, 2008 6:58:00 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Did you happen to see the third game last night? There was an aerial shot of some local LA beach location that featured a long dock and a ferris wheel.

Do you know where that is? It looked cool.

 
At Friday, June 13, 2008 11:21:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

I didn't see the aerial shot in question, but even without seeing it, I can tell you it was Santa Monica.

 
At Friday, June 13, 2008 4:55:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I just downloaded the new Sedaris!

 
At Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:53:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

la,

This is off-topic, but months ago you left me a comment on my blog asking me to explain my dad's name. I finally got around to posting that story.

Danny and Family Blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home