Thursday, January 15, 2009

Two Thousand Whine

Wow, long time, no blog. I can’t believe I haven’t written anything since Thanksgiving. Hope you’re all having a good new year. As for me, frankly, 2009 is kicking my ample Italian ass. Without delving into minutiae, the overview is that my mom who came for a 2-week visit over the holidays is still here because of some orthopedic issues, and my dear sweet oldest cat, Alfie, was diagnosed with bladder cancer last week. My siblings and I are working through the former together, and I’m handling the latter as best I can given his ultimate prognosis. I opted against surgery for my little guy because of his age and some other medical problems he has, but he is on medication that will hopefully slow down the growth of his tumor. Realistically, though, he has 6-12 months, 8 months being the average for cats with this type of tumor. He’s lost a lot of weight (the reason he went to the vet in the first place), and now his little pink belly is shaved from the ultrasound that diagnosed him. He looks so sad and sweet.

Having a baby in the family at Christmas was great. Ava turned 6 months old on Christmas Eve, and she was baptized a couple days before that. I left the Catholic church years ago, but I nevertheless really enjoyed the ceremony. About ten babies were baptized, and it was fun seeing them all in their finery. Ava wore the gown her mother had worn, and she looked very pretty in it. Not a single baby cried, they were all so cute. Here’s Ava with her daddy, they look a little bit alike.

What I'm listening to today: Ulysses by Franz Ferdinand.

6 Comments:

At Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:13:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I feel your pain, but revel in your joy over your adorable niece.

 
At Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:35:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

p.s. blog more! that's an order! :-)

 
At Friday, January 16, 2009 2:28:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Poor Alfie! I'm sorry to hear about that.

Babies do have a way of cheering everyone up though, don't they?

 
At Monday, January 19, 2009 9:46:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Happy to see more from you, but sad to hear about your kitty. :(

Here's to a happy 2009, though.

Peace.

 
At Monday, January 26, 2009 9:12:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

I can't believe your niece is already 6 months old!

 
At Tuesday, March 03, 2009 5:32:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

I'm sorry to hear about Alfie. There is nothing worse than an animal in need. He looks like a sweetheart too.

And of course, Ava is absolutley adorable. Dad's gene pool is pretty strong!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home