Friday, September 19, 2008

Mad Fans, Mark Your Calendars

Jon Hamm is hosting Saturday Night Live on October 25, 2008. Unfortunately, the musical guest will be Coldplay. While they are playing, you could go put on your jammies or fix a bowl of ice cream or fast forward. You guessed it, I'm not a fan of Coldplay. Anydraper, an SNL-style send-up of Mad Men is rife with possibility, and I hope the writers can do the concept justice.

I wonder if this means Jon is going to win the Emmy Sunday night for Best Actor. They pre-announced some of the Creative Emmys last week, and Mad Men has already won four of the 16 for which they were nominated. I think Hamm is a strong contender for Best Actor, his main competition will be Hugh Laurie (long overdue) and Michael C. Hall (also deserving).

Speaking of Mad Men, I've refrained from blogging about it this season, but that's not to say my love for it has diminished. It hasn't at all. I'm just waiting for the stories to reach a fever pitch before I explode in words about it. Now that we're midseason, that time is definitely approaching. But I'm going to wait a little longer, other than to say I literally laughed out loud this past week when everybody's favorite cad-about-town Roger Sterling uttered the words, "Duck, Crab; Crab, Duck." The expression on his face was priceless and is just one of the reasons John Slattery is up for a Best Supporting Actor Emmy this weekend.

And speaking of House, do you guys watch it? I've watched it only intermittently over the last couple years. I recently Netflixed the series to see if I would like it any better if I saw it from the beginning which often happens for me when I start watching shows at some point other than at the outset. It didn't work for me with House. I think Hugh Laurie is outstanding and positively compelling as Greg House. Love him. The rest of the show and cast... meh. I tuned in to the new season premiere this week and thought it was a pretty weak episode. I can't believe no one figured out the patient's ectopic pregnancy. NO DOCTOR would have missed that, up to and including first-year medical students. Even without that gaffe, I felt the new season started out with a whimper. I found myself checking the clock a few times, never a good sign.

Anyway, there's no Mad Men this week because AMC wants you to tune in to the Emmys instead. I guess they are optimistic for a big haul. I know I am.

6 Comments:

At Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:42:00 PM, Blogger kookla100 said...

That Hamm guy just may make me give up my ban on pork, if ya catch my dirft. Have you seen that website http://whatwoulddondraperdo.tumblr.com/ you would love it.

I've never seen House, but it's only because if you live with an acerbically, bitter guy with a 5 o'clock shadow, you don't need to watch one on TV.

 
At Saturday, September 20, 2008 7:12:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I have caught House a couple of times, and it looks like something I might enjoy more if I had the time.

 
At Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:33:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

I'm glad I finally got on board with Mad Men. I, too, have watched House once in awhile. I like it, but I'm not sure I'd want to watch a whole season's worth. It seems to be pretty repititious to me. I love Hugh Laurie in Jeeves and Wooster with the great Stephen Fry.

Although Chris Martin is painfully earnest, he's also really funny, and makes good music - don't be a hater!

 
At Monday, September 22, 2008 6:35:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

I have seen a couple of episodes of House - and have liked it.

 
At Monday, September 29, 2008 7:40:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I'm up on my Mad Men. Its turning into a weekly must watch. Don Draper is adorable, even if he's completely flawed.

 
At Monday, October 06, 2008 1:07:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

"Unfortunately, the musical guest will be Coldplay." lol at LA.

I've tried to watch House, and love Hugh, but I find the rest of the cast sort of painful to watch.

I also love John Slattery, and that line was freaking hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home