Saturday, September 06, 2008

Ava Embraces Her Drop of French Blood

There's a tiny bit of French ancestry floating around our DNA courtesy of my mother, but that's not really what inspired me to knit up this baby beret for Ava. What it really came down to was I had some yarn left over when I finished Ava's cabled blanket (pictures soon) and this pattern within reach, plus I was chilling in front of the television over Labor Day weekend. Voila, as they say in Paris. She sure looks tres belle in it!

I spent the day yesterday with Ava and her mommy. I took Becky out to lunch for her birthday a month ago and we did some shopping and had some "girl time." Having no children of my own, it was interesting to note that there's an underground mommy movement in existance of which I was completely unaware. When you push a baby around in public, you and other mommies make eye contact and nod "what's up" to one another. I also noticed that the mommies give each other the quick once-over. Not sure if they're calculating how much baby weight you've lost based on the age of your child or judging you on the brand and price of the stroller you're pushing, but they're definitely making note of something. My sister-in-law is wayyyyy smaller than me, and she's lost most if not all her baby weight in 10 weeks (actually, in about 4 weeks), so I think most people assumed I was the mommy when I was pushing the stroller. Hopefully, they cut me a break considering the baby is only 2 months old and I'm obviously an "older" mom, therefore with a slower metabolism.

Anyway, Ava has trouble sleeping when people are over, and yesterday was no exception. After our girls' afternoon, we had family evening. My brother's birthday is next week, so my sister came up after work and we celebrated my brother's birthday at a place called Ragin' Cajun in Hermosa Beach (yum). Ava had no afternoon nap because what female naps when they are at the mall? She finally conked out on the drive from dinner to the gelato place for dessert, but she really hates sleeping if other people besides mama and papa are in the mix. She also laughs, giggles, grasps, dances around, has tummy time, and can almost roll over.

Okay, I just reread this post, and I think I need to reel in the estrogen. Wow.

8 Comments:

At Saturday, September 06, 2008 11:03:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

OK, that's one of the most cute photos ever! :)
Hope your weekend has been good!

 
At Sunday, September 07, 2008 8:17:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Love the photos!

A friend of mine has a mixed race baby, and I love that when we are out with him, people can't tell if the baby is mine, and the father is african american, or if the baby is her's and the father is white.

 
At Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:54:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

Adorable!

If I knew how to spell that in French, I would.

 
At Monday, September 08, 2008 5:18:00 AM, Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Ooh la la. Votre nièce est belle! Vos qualifications de tricotage sont magnifiques! ;)

 
At Monday, September 08, 2008 2:06:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Enchante!

 
At Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:52:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

A really nice story and beautiful photos.

 
At Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:57:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Nice baby pics. Even though I prefer puppies. :)

 
At Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:38:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

She's totally gorgeous!! Already working the dimples!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home