Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Clapotis

This is Clapotis, the most popular pattern ever from Knitty. And just to the left is Phoebe wondering if she dare lay on Clapotis. She dare not.

It's for good reason that Clapotis is such a favorite pattern among knitters. It's a fun and easy pattern (at an intermediate level, I'd say) that makes an extremely versatile shawl/wrap/sofa blanket that will be the envy of all your friends. No seriously, it will. Whenever I wear mine in public, I get compliments on it from strangers on the street. Even a gay male airline flight attendent expressed his admiration of it the last time I flew. And I think it only took me about two weeks to make it.

Another great thing about it is that you can use just about any medium weight yarn to make it. I chose Noro Silk Garden, one of my all-time faves. Clapotis is knit on the bias, and the fun thing about using a self-striping yarn like Silk Garden is that the striping will come out in the opposite direction of the diagonal which makes it look like it was a much harder knit than it actually was, thereby elevating the knitter into genius master craftsperson status. And let me tell you something, I'm not too proud to admit that I love posing as a genius.

Here's a close up.

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:28:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

la - I love the Clapotis in Silk Garden, which is one of my favorite yarns to knit with! It's gorgeous!

 
At Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:30:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

I love the pattern and colors. It looks so cozy and warm.

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:01:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

It's gorgeous and I admire anyone who can knit. I'm too much of a spaz.

 
At Wednesday, June 21, 2006 9:42:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

LA, Wow! It looks airbrushed. Awesome.

 
At Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:19:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

That's an amazing piece of work, LA! I'm jealous. I've always wanted to knit. Do you know of any places in town I can learn? Or is this something you learn out of a book?

 
At Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:08:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

It's stunning! I love the marled look of it, looks so soft and wooly.

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

kookla - I learned through Long Beach Parks and Rec, and have taken a few classes at Alamitos Bay Yarn Company - come join the world of the knitters!

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 10:17:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

I learned at Alamitos Bay Yarn Co, too. In fact, I'm a regular there. I host the every-other-Friday Stitch 'n' Bitch in the Annex.

Diane - I know it's late notice, but if you can come by, we're there from 1-6 today! It's social, no cost.

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

la - no way! I'm not sure I can make it today, but I'd love to come by - if not today then in two weeks!

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 11:26:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

diane - I'll keep you posted. The next one is likely two weeks from today, but sometimes the dates are fluid.

 
At Friday, June 23, 2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

la - please let me know - I'd love to join the group for some stiching and bitching!

 
At Sunday, July 02, 2006 9:02:00 AM, Blogger JC said...

Oh wow, LA, if we lived in the same city, I would so convince you to knit one of those for me...uuuh, all of a sudden my mind is flying: DHL, UPS... hahahaha :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home