Saturday, July 15, 2006

Christmas in July

So, I live at the beach, and at 5:00 pm, it's still 91 degrees here. Which means it's, oh, I don't know, probably close to 150 degrees 10 miles inland. Yes, it's pure hell. Then, my sister called to say that she was at the local Hallmark store today only to discover they were playing Christmas music and displaying their 2006 ornament collection. Her infuriation was exceeded only by her incredulity. That's what I call some fucked up marketing.

But I don't know if I actually have room to complain about the heat in light of my activities this late afternoon.

I've spent the last hour practicing a new recipe - chicken lasagna - which has required me to preheat my oven, sautee vegetables over a hot stove, and now bake the thing for 45 minutes. I'm not really much of a cook which is why I needed a trial run at this. Some relatives are going to be in town next weekend, and because he has a nice house in which to entertain, my brother is always the one to host family events. So I volunteered to take the meal preparation burden off of him and his wife since they always, always get stuck with these things. I do have a trusted favorite recipe, a yummy spinach lasagna, but the older I get, the less I'm able to tolerate red sauce. Thus, I decided to cultivate a "white" version of my old stand-by. I made several alterations to the receipe, so keep your fingers crossed.

6 Comments:

At Saturday, July 15, 2006 6:00:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Sounds yummy! You're very devoted to be willing to turn on your oven today . . .I'm gonna try out a new recipe for grilled shrimp with pineapple salsa . . .

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:52:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

LA, my number one thing in the summer is bitching about the heat. So keep cool and comfy. Lucky you live by the beach, at least you get those cool ocean breezes at night. As for your Lasgna it dosn't look like what it is, but it looks real good !

 
At Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:14:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

so what time should i be over to help ya taste this "practice" run? i am soooo in the mood for pasta right now. chicken lasagne sounds delicious.

i know what you mean about the heat. i'm kicking myself for renting out my house by the beach. i've been living like a gypsy and staying with friends, but i think i'm gonna have to crash at koo&grim's because they get that nice marine layer.

 
At Monday, July 17, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with ffleur. Tried to buy some floaties for a kid, and they were out and had a sweater. WTF? It is TEXAS. It will stay 90 degrees here until NOvember. I mean it was 100 degrees on Saturday and I see a damn sweater. I was sweating in side the damn door. Stupid store.

Oh and good luck with the food and that was nice of you to offer to cook. Looks yummy

 
At Monday, July 17, 2006 9:05:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Diane - Trust me, it was less devotion and more time management that caused me to bake in this heat. Hope your recipe turns out well!

JD - We're cut from the same cloth. People are so sick of my bitching about the heat by the end of August, it's not even funny. And this year, we're getting an early start.

PK - I hope you didn't sign a long lease with your renters! Yes, the marine layer is a small blessing at least. BTW, I'll be serving lasagna Friday night right near Kook and Grim!

Ffleur - I hear you! And who wants to buy a bathing suit right after the holidays, anyway?

softball slut - What? You're not wearing wool sweaters in Texas in August?

My trial run for the lasagna was a success. Now, wish me luck on Friday!

 
At Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:26:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

LA, you are a truly wonderful sister. and if your cooking is as abundant as your generosity, then those are some lucky relatives!

ps i didn't get much relief at koo&grim's. the sun is a nasty beast this summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home