Tuesday, August 01, 2006

RS/SN Week 5 - Performance Reviews by LA

He hasn't impressed me until tonight, but I gotta give it up for Ryan Star. He not only earned the encore for tomorrow, but that was actually one of the best performances I've seen yet on the show. You go, Ryan. I'm paying attention now, and I'm sorry I doubted you.

How would you like to follow Ryan? Well, Lukas didn't like it at all. It was written all over his face, he didn't know the lyrics to his song, it was in a bad key for him, and he completely tanked. Lukas could actually end up in the bottom three tomorrow night. I don't think he'll be booted, because Jill or Zayra will surely be gone by the end of tomorrow, but Lukas might have to sing for his life.

Let's discuss Jill and Zayra and get it over with. O.M.F.G. I actually think it's past the point of comedy and bottomed out to just plain cruel to let Zayra continue to flounder. She's truly like a fish out of water, and it's not funny anymore. It's awkward and embarrassing, and PLEASE, let's end the misery, hers and ours She's like the William Hung of this show. Stop it already. That said, what about Jill's stripper performance, pole-dancing the mic, and generally making an ass of herself? How about a double elimination tomorrow night, Jill and Zayra? They must both go. Now!

Incidentally, I think the band didn't fully shred and destroy Zayra so much tonight (even though she deserved it) because I think they were still trying to justify Phil's departure over hers from last week. That was something they didn't need to do since they leaked the uncut version of Phil's dismissal, but I see that the official story is still that "Zayra changes it up." Okay, whatever. Just my opinion.

I also have to give props to Josh. I don't think Josh has a snowball's chance in hell to even make it to the final six, but he sounded great on Santeria, and I really enjoyed his performance. Good show, Josh.

So, tonight was show-Magni-the-love night. I gotta admit when I watched the web episode on Monday, my stone-cold heart melted for Magni when he watched the home video of his son taking his first steps. And even though I was genuinely touched, the real reasons I like Magni are because he has a terrific voice, a load of talent, perfect instincts, a sense of humor, and integrity. He also has a huge upper body and a bald head, both of which I totally love in men. (Damn it, why does he have to have a wife and kid?) Magni's seriously a contender in this. With Lukas having an incredibly bad night, Magni moves up to top male contender. Until this week, I had him as the second male contender, but he's the #1 man now.

Dilana still has the lock for the women (word around the world wide web is that the man on whose shoulders she rode was her boyfriend in town from Texas), but Storm is for real, especially after her performance tonight. She really show-cased her voice with the Bowie song. Good times.

Of all the rockers who have performanced with the three Supernova guys, Patrice has fared the best so far. Dana's getting a lot of props on the web for her Who performance, but it basically left me cold. She looks completely unnatural being the the tough rocker chick.

And finally, Toby. Toby was in the preliminary bottom three at the end of the night. He's been skating by until now with average performances. It took him almost a full verse to really find his footing in Pennyroyal Tea, but he hasn't stepped up to the plate since he did Knocking on Heaven's Door early in the season. Toby's from Australia, and in case you don't know, let me just tell you that those guys are total horn dogs. So that's why I was laughing my ass off when he found the woman in the audience with the the most bodacious tatas and pressed himself into her at the end of his song. OMG, Toby, you are such a fucking dingo.

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:05:00 AM, Blogger Deej Diaz said...

I love Ryan's performance. Who would've thought?!?! I have the mp3s in my blog! Check it out!

http://jeepneydiaries.blogspot.com

Hey LA, can you add me up in your links? :)

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:14:00 AM, Blogger prettykitty said...

this review was spot on. lukas really bugged me with his back to the audience. i forgot the soul crooner's name, but the whole time he was singing sublime i was like, dude what are you doing here again? friggin' zayra was a total joke, right? and ryan was okay.

dilana all the way! of course, since i like her, she won't win.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 1:32:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

What was up with Lukas? First, his only job was to learn the lyrics and sing them. He failed on both accounts! I loved Hole and Courtney Love and was horrified by his performance.

Ryan did a wicked performance, but I still don't see him fronting the band.

Jill was so very awful. Ditto for Zayra. Love the William Hung reference. That's exactly what she is.

I didn't like Josh's Santeria. I thought it was average. He doesn't have the chops to make it in this competition.

Magni was awesome! I was totally almost crying when they said they would fly his family to see him. Awww..

Dilana has been so consistant in her songs. Love her. Did you know she's the oldest rocker at 38 years old? She looks good! I'm really pulling for her.

Storm did well last night with Changes. Glad she did it the way she did.

Patrice was not so hot. I didn't like it, and Tommy totally overshadowed her. Dave was right on.

I thought Dana was amazing with Baba O'Riley. I voted for her online.

Toby is forgettable. And, your right, he kinda came off as skanky last night.

I think that Jill, Zayra and Josh will be in the bottom three, with Jill going home. Zayra will go next week.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:47:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Mish! I thought Dilana was turning 34 this month, but I'm willing to believe she's 38! She has the wisdom that comes with age. Storm is 37. I think their age helps them a bit because I think Supernova wouldn't feel comfortable with someone super young like, say, Dana who is 22. (Not that Dana actually has a chance, but you know what I mean.)

Your bottom 3 sounds about right to me with Lukas being the wild card.

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 5:04:00 PM, Blogger eddie said...

Well La you sent your hot weather all the way to Connecticut (100 degrees +) and the power went out 15 mins before the show :^(

But I have a radio that picks up Tv stations so after a mad scramble in the dark for batteries we heard the show from the end of Dilana's perforamnce on. So at least tonight I should see the end of Z.....

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:08:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

Oh yeah! Elimination night. You know where I'll be. I have no favorite right now. I am thinking they all shouldn't even be allowed. If I had to choose, I would say Magni, but some of them don't seem like they would have the backbone to deal with the egos in this band.

Speaking of, anyone know what happened to the latest incarnation of INXS? Anyone?

 
At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 10:38:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Kookla - I didn't watch the INXS one, but I know they put out an album recently.

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:29:00 PM, Blogger eddie said...

Kookla I saw INXS with J. D. Fortune and well it was at best OK. Not worth the 50 bucks a ticket we payed. The Arena was less than 1/3 full. I guess I was spoiled by seeing INXS with Michael Hutchense before he died and the fact I was pulling for Marty Casey in the last Rockstar show.....

 
At Thursday, August 03, 2006 11:37:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

i totally loved marty too! i couldn't remember his last name. i figured jd would win. but there is no way you can replace hutchence. they should have just regrouped and called themselves something else.

curious to know where you saw them perform, eddie. did they do any old hits?

 
At Friday, August 04, 2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

I agree, Kitty. I don't offend easily, but I thought it was in incredibly poor taste that they dissed Michael Hutchense by making a reality show out of finding a replacement for him. The least they could have done was use a name other than INXS and packaged it as starting a new band rather than replacing Michael in INXS. To me, that cast a very dark shadow on the whole endeavor.

I saw INXS at the Greek back in the day. They were GREAT fun live!

 
At Saturday, August 05, 2006 5:01:00 PM, Blogger eddie said...

Kitty,

Most of the show was old INXS songs. They only did a couple of songs off the new album and execpt for "Pretty Vegas" they lost most of the crowd. JD did fine on the old stuff but like my wife said INXS is now a cover band of INXS.....and not worth the 50 large we laid out for TIX.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home