Thursday, July 27, 2006

Late Night Laundry

It's 10:30 pm, the temperature is only 75, but the relative humidity is 83 percent. I thought when the temperature broke, things would be better, but I didn't count on the humidity factor. We're usually safe from it, but right now, I feel like I live in Chicago again.

It's too freaking hot during the day to get anything done, so I'm trying to get a load of laundry washed and dried while it's "cool" tonight. I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take. The thing about the rest of the country is they have air conditioning. There's this bizarre mindset here in So Cal that you "don't need air conditioning at the beach," so none of the homes around here have it. Thing is, I have always thought you needed it, even before the weather went bananas. This is only late July, and that means summer is merely revving up in Los Angeles. Our hot months are August and September. Two more months of this? Welcome to my nervous breakdown. Actually, that might be a strategic idea because hospitals, even mental hospitals, are always downright frigid.

Things in my world are actually kind of fucked up right now. There's been some family drama, and without going into detail, I'm sick to death of it and wondering how much more I can take. Remember that trip I took to Las Vegas in May? That was kind of a catalyst for me, and I've been burning in a slow fury ever since, and I swear to god, I don't know what to do about it. This weather's not helping nor are my hormones.

Tomorrow is my day off and I'm spending the afternoon in an air conditioned yarn shop with my knitting group. It's the only relief in sight.

12 Comments:

At Friday, July 28, 2006 7:11:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

la - it was soooo miserable last night - thanks for summing up my thoughts too on the weather - I'm going to have a ceiling fan installed in my bedroom to try to fake that coastal breeze that has gone missing

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 9:06:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

This weather sucks! I have air conditioning and I'm still crabby. I'm considering moving to Alaska.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 11:29:00 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

It everywhere, the entire country is sweltering with the high temps and sloppy humidity. New England is just hours away from an enormous line of thunderstorms. (When we get them, they are quite impressive.)

I purchased a small, energy efficient A/C from a department store for about $100. If you have a room that can be closed-off, it will really do the trick. (15' by 15')

It isn't that heavy and installation is not terribly difficult. It plugs right into a standard 120V outlet. You might consider getting one, LA!!

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 1:03:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

LA I feel your pain I have had my own fair share of family drama and its not fun. Venting sometimes helps but unfortunatly for me, I found the best way to avoid family drama is distance myself from my family. Its a sad thing to do but the stress factors in my life have gone down dramatically.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 2:05:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry things are not going well for you!! Here's a cool margarita for you!!

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 8:24:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

la, the weather isn't making anyone pleasant, believe me. things are hard enough dealing on a day to day basis, but to be uncomfortable on top of it, magnifies everything.

i'm sorry to hear about the family drama. i'm spared that crap be living 300+ miles away from mine. as for the extraneous drama? i cut that out of my life too.

life's too short. i love that line in a madonna song "i'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me". i cannot believe i quoted a madonna song in your blog. forgive me.

 
At Friday, July 28, 2006 8:58:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

la - ahhhh - nice breeze tonight!

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:58:00 AM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Where there is family there is drama. Pix and Kitty got it right. Just avoid it. I live a several towns away from mine. It allows me to "hand select" the family events I actually attend. And they never drop by here because I am "so far" away!!!

There's a big birthday party today, and I must attend. Hopefully there will be no fireworks. Last year I got yelled at for leaving early. (I had been there three hours.)

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006 7:18:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

Family Drama and Severe Heat can be an expolosive mixture, be weary of what you say and do during this time, avoid freinds and loved ones and do things that calm your nerves. [like your knitting group]

If, when the weather cools and you still feel this hostility let whom ever has it coming, get it.

Laundry at night, sounds familiar, lucky for me I have it in my house, but I well remember going out to do it,urghh. I'll send you some klonipin if you like.

Eat a lot of ice-cream and jello and listen to alot of Stevie Nicks.

love, hothead

 
At Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:31:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

OH LA-
Sounds like a horrific combo of family drama and hotness. I hope that you are able to cope. Take a page out of my book and drink heavily. It usually dulls the pain! HAHA. Seriously, just think that in about 2 months you will be able to enjoy the nice fall like weather. That is the only way I can get through each day during the summer! I hope that you feel better! Have a refreshing glass of Iced Tea and a Xanax on me!

 
At Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:38:00 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

LA - I thought this was appropriate...

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8352/photo071806003bd9.jpg

 
At Sunday, July 30, 2006 1:36:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and understanding.

Joy - Very sound advice. Mercifully, my laundry is just outside in the garage.

Ryandxc - GREAT photo, thanks!

I'm feeling a bit better now. Of course, the temperature is about 15 degrees lower, too, and the humidity is lessening. My family is still crazy, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home