Monday, July 23, 2007

Questionable Music Purchases

Diane had a brilliant post on her blog the other day which I am taking as a meme. Going through her CD collection, she found some items that made her ask herself, “WTF?” I thought I’d go through my collection and show you a few of my own questionable music choices.

Zebra. No clue what I was thinking.


I was a big fan of Miami Vice, and therefore, purchased the soundtrack to the show as shown. It’s dated, but it’s undeniable that Michael Mann changed the face of television by scoring it with popular music.


Unfortunately, I took a good thing way too far, which is the only excuse I have to explain my ownership of Philip Michael Thomas’ album, “Living the Book of My Life.”



My worst lapse in judgment to date, yes, it's Jingle Cats. I vaguely recall thinking it would be funny to play it for my cats. God, I must have been lonely and bored.


Acquired during my grunge days when I was buying up everything that came out of Seattle or anyone signed to Sub Pop, Candlebox holds up worse than Pearl Jam, who I was surprised to realize recently aren’t holding up well for me at all. I’m less surprised about Candlebox.


In my own defense, I didn’t actually spend money on any of these. I have a friend who was an intern at a local radio station. He’d just grab whatever promos he could get and leave them at my house. He’s given me a lot of good music, too, but this grouping represents an era best forgotten. (Goo Goo Dolls aren’t too bad, actually… I might exclude them from this mix.) The worst of this pile (yes, “pile”), obviously, is Creed. Someone punch Scott Stapp in the face for me.


I wanted to like this, although considering I don't love Janes Addiction, I'm not sure why I was so enthusiastic. But I really couldn’t get into Dave Navarro’s self-indulgent solo album, Trust No One. It’s completely forgettable.


I’m probably going to take grief for this, but here goes. I’ve come to DESPISE anything Billy Corgan-related. My disdain began when he fouled-up Landslide with his toneless and nasal “vocal.” (Was it truly a vocal? Seriously, it’s more like he vomited out the lyrics. I’ve heard more pleasing sounds come from tracheostomy patients.) Then, the more I saw him posture and listened to him brag about his unparalleled talent and genius, the more intolerable I found him. My intolerance blossomed into white hot hatred. Jack White is what Billy Corgan thinks he is. Corgan is a legend only in his own mind.

18 Comments:

At Monday, July 23, 2007 6:13:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

This is fun! I agree with you though, LA. Billy Corgan is awful.

The first CD I ever bought? Ace of Base. "I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign..." Hahaha.. Oh, 1993. What a year.

I saw Lit in concert. I had the opportunity to see Creed in concert, but I smartly turned that chance down.

Jingle cats, eh? Hahaha... Did the cats like it?

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 7:30:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Jingle Cats, what kind of loser would buy that album... oh wait I did. HAHA, LA we are total dilweeds.

And I have to DISAGREE with you on Billy Corgan.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE him. Actually they will be playing the Filmore in SF for 12 consecutive dates starting this week. I will be seeing them on Thursday. I will tell him that you send your love. Yeah, he is full of himself, but Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is a true masterpiece, so I will allow him to be ass.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 7:42:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ffleur - My cats were utterly fascinated. The definitely recognized the voices of their compatriots.

Ryan - I am dying that you bought Jingle Cats, too!

Yeah, I heard about the Fillmore residency, and I suspect you will be the first of many to disagree with me on Corgan.

Nevertheless, I am firm in my conviction.

 
At Monday, July 23, 2007 10:37:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I have to disagree about Pearl Jam - there last cd was really, really good, and Eddie Vedder is on my list of top rock vocalists (probably the subject of a post later this week!)

Creed? Jingle Cats? PM Thomas? Thanks for making me realize we've all gone to the dark side and managed to make our way back into the light!!!!

Corgan? I like some Smashing Gourds, but . . .

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:21:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Diane - I used to LOVE Pearl Jam. I've seen them live and loved them. I'm completely stunned at how indifferent I feel to them when I hear them now.

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:30:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Oh God, I own Jingle Cats too!!! How many albums did they sell?

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:32:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Well, Pru, based on the comments here, at least three.

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:50:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Hehe, I was a teenager in the 80's so you can imagine some of the records that I bought.
My CD collection started off pretty well in around 1985 or so with changesonebowie.

BTW, as a Fleetwood Mac fan, do you get into any of the early Peter Green era stuff?
It's pretty sweet. Friend of mine turned me on to that.
Man.
:)

 
At Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:04:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I have to say I've been pretty good at picking great music on CD. Not to say I don't have several crates of really bad LPs in the barn.

Because I do.

 
At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:46:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

In addition to the two duds that I listed in the comments section of Diane's post, I'm also the proud owner of a CD with all Jimi Hendrix songs recorded by various popular artists. There was actually a hit by Eric Clapton covering Manic Depression. But to this day I don't know why I bought that and never a Hendrix CD.

 
At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:59:00 PM, Blogger v said...

First of all, I need to invest in this gravy train that is singing cats.

Second, I know what you mean when you return to a great CD or band and the music seems to have aged or you feel you've changed and the music no longer speaks to you in the same manner as before. Anyway, great point LA!

And finally, kudos to LA and Diane for these great posts and igniting such wonderful discussion.

 
At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 9:34:00 PM, Blogger ffleur said...

*stubs toe into rug and looks bashful*


(whispers)....

I once owned an album by Andy Gibbs.

 
At Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:21:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Mike - I like the old, bluesy Mac, but I must admit, I don't have any of it in my collection.

Dan - Some of those compilation CDs are actually pretty good. There are usually a few good interpretations of songs that make it worth the price of admission. And it's a pleasure if the original material is solid.

V - Resist the singing cats! If you must hear it, go to Amazon and listen to samples. That's all you need to hear. Trust.

Ffleur - My Partridge Family albums are long gone, but I feel your Andy Gibb pain.

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:22:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

To think I was embarassed about my Corey Hart LP, but I know for a fact I don't own anything that is sung by something with paws.

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:36:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

My very first album? The Partridge Family!

 
At Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:51:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

here's a taste of the early Green stuff.
what a guitar player:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HQ8AcEYTEFY

 
At Friday, July 27, 2007 11:52:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Thanks, Mike. That was great! John McVie was rocking the bass in that clip. Mick and John look like babies there! I actually ended up watching/listening to a lot of clips from the Green/Kirwin era thanks to your link.

 
At Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:48:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

First of all, that Zebra album had two good songs on it. Not that I would have bought the record. I also have the Miami Vice LP but ha ha ha to you for buying Philip Michael Thomas! I must admit, I have never heard of Jingle Cat and feel left out. Is there a Jingle Dog? Also, I like that Lit CD and the Goo Goo Dolls disc, too. I'm also there with you on Billy Corgan AND Jack White. Thanks for sharing your collection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home