Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Peacock Feathers


Diane and I started a peacock lace shawl class tonight, and it looks like it's going to be a good one. This level (advanced) of lace knitting is a challenge in both skill and endurance, but I find the work to be very satisfying. (That's my progress from class on the right, and the sample from the designer below.)

I'm going to knitting camp this weekend - Thursday to Sunday. I'm taking a couple other projects, but after class tonight, I decided the lace shawl is going to get some play.



Over this past weekend, I got as close to buying a condo as I ever have. I haven't really been looking of late, and in fact had decided to target my search for next summer, but my realtor sent me a listing for a loft that was available on a short sale and had accordingly dropped in price $125,000 since Labor Day. (A real-life example of someone who got in way too deep.) I saw it on Friday, took my siblings back to see it Saturday morning, and by Saturday afternoon, my realtor was writing up my offer. Unfortunately, someone beat me to the punch, outbidding me both in price and escrow duration before my offer even hit the table. It's taken me a few days to get over it, but the sting is little less acute today. It was fucking amazing. Okay, I might not be 100 percent over it yet, because I was going to write a little bit more about it, but I'm feeling like I can't go there yet. I can't yet quite describe the 950 square feet of open floor plan with gorgeous hardwood floors, poured concrete counters in the renovated kitchen, exposed ceilings, two full bathrooms featuring a claw-foot tub in one, expansive 8th floor city views in the historic building in the perfect neighborhood. Shit, my heart is breaking again. Enough. I absolutely cannot post the pictures I took. Hell, I can't even look at them.



Instead, here are my spoiled little babies. The girls were sharing that ugly blue fleece blanket when Alfie decided to get in between them. It was a lazy day, so no one budged and no one cared. Phoebe is on the left, Cleo on the right.

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 9:11:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

And I can verify that LA's lace shawl beginnings are even prettier in real life!

The cats have the right idea - I'd like to get a fleece blanket and lay on the couch

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 10:52:00 AM, Blogger EditThis said...

First off, knitting camp? Are you one of those people who is always like, "This one time...at knitting camp..."? And when I first saw that photo, for some reason, I thought you were knitting a thong.

I feel for you in your real estate problems. It is so stressful trying to get a place, takes so long to find the place that is perfect for you, and then something like that always happens. I'm sure the next place will be better!

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 12:06:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 12:08:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

LA, I must need a break from The Rant, if the first thing I thought when I saw the first picture was that it was a crocheted merkin! Ha!

When it comes to real estate, I have a saying, if you didn't get it...it wasn't meant to be. You don't know how many times I had my heart broken before Pelegrim and I found the house of our dreams. I still walk into my home every day and thank my lucky stars that I was patient and diligent. Just think, the longer you wait, the more prices will drop.

Looking forward to your completed shawl!! Cute kitties!!

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 2:20:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Actually, I have seen some really cute patterns for knitted thongs . . .

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:58:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

LA, so close!! I agree with Kookla, you will find something better. Plus there is massive depreciation right now, so why buy?! You'll feel better, and then post the pictures. I really want to see the place.

(You and Diane knit some really nice stuff!! Have fun at camp!!)

 
At Friday, November 09, 2007 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

"And this one time at knitting camp...."

Have fun!

 
At Friday, November 09, 2007 1:13:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Real estate is heart breaking. But trust me. A better one always comes along.

Your scarf is gorgeous so far! It looks so delicate and intricate.

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 1:28:00 PM, Blogger D.O.M. Dan said...

It really is a buyers market right now, and I'm sure there are many properties to choose from.

The scarf looks nice, and the cats look cute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home