Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Phoebe Blue Eyes

This is Phoebe, possibly the cutest cat ever. She has the prettiest blue eyes and an attitude that comes with knowledge of her beauty. She's also very, very sassy and knows how to flirt. She found herself in a shelter after her owners died which is where our paths crossed. That was four years ago, and it took awhile to draw her personality out, but it's been my pleasure to spoil her silly.

When she first arrived to Chez LA, Alfie took it upon himself to bully her and make her feel as unwelcome as possible. She was very intimidated by him at first, but now she teases him and even initiates play between the two of them. Of my three cats, though, Phoebe is the most unpredictable. She'll love you up one minute and then reach out and grab you with her teeth the next. She's also my smartest cat. I've seen her and Alfie compete for a toy. She will cleverly hide the toy and feign innocence until he's given up his hunt. When he's safely disinterested and out of the room, she'll pull the toy out and toss it about delightedly, celebrating both the joy of play and the sweet victory of a successful ruse.

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:39:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Yeah, that's something I don't get is how people think dogs are smarter than cats. They're not! They're just different.

It's cool you get them from the shelter. My dog was from the shelter, and he was half-priced at $20!

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:56:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

Your cat has beautiful eyes! Is she siamese?

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:10:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

I bet your kittie fantasizes about getting into your yarn.

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 7:19:00 PM, Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

Wow, what a stunning creature......her eyes are sooooo blue LA, she beats Liz Taylor hands down anyday for the most gorgeous eyes! :)
BTW, I love how she handles the man in the house......Go Phoebe girl!!

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:26:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

I love your kitty.
She's quite a good looking cat!

Can you imagine life without pets in the house?

I cannot. No way.
Too weird.

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 9:56:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Mike - Living without pets is what turned me from a dog-only person to opening my heart to cats. I grew up with a family dog, and after college out on my own, I was craving the company of a furry friend. My landlord said no to dogs, so I went out and adopted a cat. Actually, I let a friend pick one out for me because I was completely clueless.

Getflix - I used to volunteer at a local no-kill shelter and I even had my own pet-sitting business once upon a time. I am strongly committed to getting my pets from shelters or other types of rescue situations. Alfie was a very young kitten when I adopted him, but Phoebe and Cleo were both orphaned when their respective owners died. Phoebe was owned by an old World War II vet, and I renamed her from "PC" which is what he called her. Cleo got to keep her name, and she was owned by a sweet little old lady before I adopted her.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:09:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

I applaud your getting animals through rescue.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

When people tell me they are interested in getting a cat or a dog, most of the time, I try and talk them out of it.
Most people that have not had pets or don't appear to be pet people need to be told.
I ask them to at the least, consider adopting a pet from a shelter or from a rescue organization.
It's strange the number of people that turn their nose up to that idea.
That upsets me greatly.

It's my belief that domestic animals are our charges, and we should take care of them.
Humans made the choice to domesticate these animals, so it's our obligation to stick with them.

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:35:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Mike - I'm with you 100 percent on everything you said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home