Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Idiocy Abounds

There are a few human attributes for which I have little to no patience. Some of these include neediness, whining, and narcissism, but the characteristic I'm going to focus on today is stupidity. And maybe it's Murphy's law, but it seems that despite my best efforts to avoid these people like Britney and Paris avoid panties, they find me nevertheless.

So I ask you. Does Petco get some kind of tax credit for hiring people with low IQ scores? Case in point:

When I approached the checkout with a 20-pound bag of cat food over my shoulder yesterday, there were two cashiers open, each helping one customer ahead of me. I got in line, and about 30 seconds later, the cashier told me he was closing. I turned to get in the other line, and discovered there was another customer behind me pushing a cart almost right into my back.

"He's closing," I said to the woman with a sour expression on her face. Side-stepping her cart, I proceeded to the adjacent line.

"Is this true? Are you closing?" she demanded of the cashier as she gesticulated angrily.

"Oh, I guess not," said the wimpy idiot as he let her move forward.

"Excuse me," I said, "I'm the one carrying the 30-pound bag of cat food, and I believe I was ahead of her."

The look of panic on Moron's face was priceless. He already had one wrathful woman in his line, and now by his own stupidity, he had managed to incite rage in another one, namely me.

I should add that this guy was in his 50s to 60s, not his teens to 20s. You'd think at his age, he'd know better. He didn't.

The second random act of idiocy imposed upon me recently was by my employer.

Heretofore, I have avoided writing too much about my workplace. That's because I've been telecommuting for the last few years, so my exposure to the antics in the office is limited. But trust me when I tell you, my office is rich with stories of craziness, packaged large and small, ranging from subtle to extreme. I was in-house for six years before the sublime gift of telecommuting was bestowed upon me, and I am here to tell you that if I were to pursue my education in psychology to the graduate level, I'd have only to do a case study on a small percentage of the madness in my workplace to be awarded a doctorate degree from any university of my choosing.

But I digress. This isn't an example of crazy, it's an example of stupid.

In order to telecommute, I use VPN (which some of you may know as SRA - secure remote access) to connect to my employer's mainframe. From there, I am able to do my job as well as retrieve my company email. So last night, IS (Information Services department) changed the VPN/SRA server, and today, no one's password worked because of the server change. We all had to call this 800# to get new passwords, blah blah blah. So once I finally got into the mainframe, I found an email from Dummy Supervisor with instructions on what to do because of the server change. Apparently, it didn't occur to Dummy that no one would be able to see her email before figuring out on their own how to get back into the mainframe to see her DUH email. (We have two supervisors, Dummy and Forgetful. Forgetful is fine except for that annoying memory deficit thing.)

Okay, raise your hand if you think I'm premenstrual.

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:05:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Ugggg. Petco. I buy my salt there, and I have never had a good check-out experience. The fact you actually got into line with two cashiers working at the same time is amazing.

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:30:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

At my office, we call this being in the bell tower - when all the stupidity one has to endure reaches the breaking point . . . it's also code for PMS . . . hold on, the weekend is almost here . . .

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 9:59:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

~raises hand, just a little bit, looks around timidly, puts hand back down~

My old office was stupid like that. I had the worst supervisor who only became supervisor because of tenure, certainly not because of intelligence. I hear she's now manager. But that's the way it's done in large corporations, I suppose.

Telecommuting sounds ideal. Sigh...

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 12:46:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I hate most people. End of story!

LA - I totally feel for you!

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 1:00:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I don't hate people exactly but I do tend to feel better when they're not around.

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:14:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

Stupid people are everywhere they are even running our country!

 
At Thursday, January 11, 2007 7:14:00 PM, Blogger prettykitty said...

petco should just let the animals run the place. what is the deal with people getting into your personal space in line? i hate when you move forward an inch and they move forward three inches. and they're yelling into their cellphones at the back of your head. i'm generally nonconfrontational, but i told this lady to "back the fuck up!" the other day. ugh. don't get me started.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home