Thursday, March 29, 2007

Imagine My Pride

Mostly, I love the little town I call home. It's small, it's safe, it's friendly, it's ocean adjacent. But I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that the average local IQ is probably, well, below average. And because I'm a big fan of avoidance as a defense mechanism, I typically steer clear of the local weekly throwaway newspaper. You see, it's rife with ignorance, and today's issue was no exception.

Each issue has a "question of the week" where the editors ask people on the street the current query. This week's question was "who was the most influential woman in the past 100 years?" Got that? One hundred years. Two of the four responses were Harriet Tubman and Betsie (sic) Ross. (Yes, the paper misspelled Betsy.) Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Harriet Tubman or the Underground Railroad. I think her story is amazing and her work inspiring. Thing is, the U.S. Civil War ended in 1865. And don't get me started on Betsy Ross. Do you think they printed the best answers? Some day, I'll regale you with stories from another feature, the police blotter.

6 Comments:

At Friday, March 30, 2007 9:11:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

That sounds typical. I used to work at a paper like that and we always picked the funniest answers.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2007 9:50:00 AM, Blogger EditThis said...

I wonder how many people answered Brittany Spears.

 
At Friday, March 30, 2007 8:26:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

surely we all know it's Lani..

 
At Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:52:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

They're a little smarter around here. Or at least the newspapers are.

 
At Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:02:00 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

God I love dumb people. They make me feel so much better about myself.

 
At Sunday, April 01, 2007 12:39:00 PM, Blogger v said...

Ha!, yeah that's pretty funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home