Monday, March 19, 2007

Conflicted about Van Halen

There was lots of chit-chat last week about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I hope I’m not too late to add my 2 cents about Van Halen.

First off, let me just say up front that I’m not a Van Halen fan, never have been, never will be.

That said, however, I disagree with the outrage people are expressing that they were inducted. I absolutely think Van Halen earned their place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I actually think their contribution to rock is pretty significant, and it’s inarguable that Eddie Van Halen inspired an entire generation of guitarists.

Okay, that said, I also think Eddie and Alex Van Halen are probably the two biggest douches in the industry. And the fact that they both skipped out on the induction ceremony for the band that bears their name is indefensible.

Eddie presumably entered rehab a mere four days before the ceremony. I haven’t heard why Alex didn’t go, but it probably has something to do with his 3 remaining brain cells being otherwise busy that day. David Lee Roth skipped out because he disagreed with the song chosen to be performed live during the event. So the only members representing Van Halen were original and long-time bassist Michael Anthony (who was being replaced for this summer’s now-canceled Van Halen tour in favor of Eddie’s son) and second-string singer, Sammy Hagar.

You know what I say? Props to Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar for giving a shit, and fuck the rest of them.

I don’t know why I’m so worked up about this, but I am. So with the report that Eddie went to rehab four days before the Hall of Fame ceremony in mind, imagine the gasket I blew when I read this:

Sources close to Eddie Van Halen reported that the rock guitarist is pretending to enter rehab in order to get out of touring with David Lee Roth. "It has nothing to do with drugs or alcohol," said Halen's ex-wife Valerie Bertinelli. "He just can't stand Diamond Dave's antics." Van Halen has been telling friends that he couldn't bear seeing the ridiculous pelvis-thrust dance Roth always performed at the end of their hit, "Panama."


Faking rehab is pathetic, and I sincerely hope that story is false. But it kind of has that Eddie Van Halen stink to it, and if it is true, he’s a bigger asswipe than I previously imagined.

Again, I have no clue why I’m so angry about this.

Here’s another thing that pisses me off. In the 21 years since the first “class” was inducted, why the hell hasn’t the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame recognized more prog rock groups? So far, the only one that has been honored is Pink Floyd. Where’s Yes? ELP? King Crimson? Seriously, ZZ Top and Bob Seger over Yes? WTF? That’s just wrong.

UPDATE: Here's a listing of all the inductees to date.

10 Comments:

At Monday, March 19, 2007 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Rock and roll
contumacious, ungovernable, rage
against a measured symphonious
life of
weary conformity.

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 7:31:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I with you on VH - they have been a successful and influential band, and Eddie is an ass. But I basically disagree with you on progressive rock. ELP was just pretentious and boring - and had only 2 listenable songs - Lucky Man and that welcome to the show song. There can't be more than 5 people on the planet who could sit through a whole ELP album, and I thought Greg Lake was dreamy. King Crimson, I will admit, was more influential and somewhat innovative . . . but ZZ top and seger have had a more lasting impact than either . . .

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 7:56:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

ok, this got me thinking - I would also argue that progressive rock is not rock and roll. At the most basic, rock and roll is about rebellion and teenage angst - Elvis, the Beatles, Stones, Nirvana, Green Day. Punk rock emerged as a reaction to '70s progressive rock - the punks viewed it as pretentious and self - indulgent - endless solos etc., that kept your everyman from participating - it changed rock from being democratic to elitist. And the punks were out to prove that anyone could have a band - any body could be a rock and roller. I would assert that progressive rock does not possess the heart of rock and roll, and hence, does not deserve to be in the hall of fame.

Ok, enough thinking for one night . . .

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 8:26:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I could add little to you observation, LA. (Or to yours, Diane.)

Are The Ramones in yet?

 
At Monday, March 19, 2007 11:28:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Flix - The Ramones were inducted the same year as Petty and the Heartbreakers, a few years ago.

Diane - I think Jann Wenner agrees with you considering he's more or less in charge of who gets in! I appreciate your argument, counselor, but I totally think Yes should be inducted.

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 7:46:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

la - :-) and of the progressive groups, I would concede that Yes is the most deserving!

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:28:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I hope that one day I make millions of dollars by being in a band and still have the balls to be a complete asswipe to the people and the fans who helped me become successful.

Checking into rehab just to get out of something? Who does he think he is? Lindsay Lohan?

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:55:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

you know how it is, artists, they are more apt to be crazy.. :)

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:46:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Bravo. Seriously, Yes and ELP aren't in the Hall of Fame??

 
At Sunday, April 01, 2007 9:21:00 AM, Blogger Cameron said...

"I’m not a Van Halen fan, never have been, never will be."

Why not?! One of the top 10 rock acts in history and you don't own any of their albums. Then how can you know? There is some pretty amazing music in their catalogue. Open your mind a little and you'll see how much great music you're missing out on.

And regarding them not going to the induction ceremony...who cares? It's their life to live, not yours. Missing an awards ceremony makes someone a douche? That seems harsh. They aren't gods, they're human.

cheers,

Cameron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home