Thursday, March 08, 2007

Newest Obsession

HGTV has a new feature on their website, Rate My Room. Regular folks can submit pictures of rooms they've "decorated" so that other regular folks can abuse and degrade them. Seriously, when you upload pictures of shit, how can you expect people not to flush? If I'm going to self-flagellate, I'm going to do it in private.

So daylight savings time takes place on Sunday, several weeks early this year, and my employer sent out an urgent email late yesterday telling everyone to "upgrade" their computers before Sunday. This edict came down with absolutely NO details about what "upgrade" might mean. The email advised employess to call the Help Desk with questions.

Now, I was reasonably certain that they wanted us to log into microsoft.com and run whatever current upgrades were outstanding, but I've learned from experience that it's better to be safe than sorry with my employer, so I decided to call the Help Desk first, just to confirm. My call to the unHelpful Desk produced a typical result, "Um, we don't know what you're talking about. Could you send us a copy of your email, and we'll get back to you?" The originator of the "upgrade" email and the Help Desk both work for the same IS department in the hospital. It took incredible restraint on my part not to type "right hand, meet the left hand" when I forwarded the email. I have no patience for incompetence.

9 Comments:

At Friday, March 09, 2007 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

FYI - we got an email today from our IT guy who said the microsoft upgrade stuff contains a serious bug, so the simple process to upgrade isn't going to be so simple

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007 12:59:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

p.s. is that an "after" photo?

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007 1:11:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Diane - Regarding the photo, it's just a photo that was submitted for rating. It's GOT to be a "before" shot, right? That's what's so funny about this Rate My Room site!

I can't wait to see what happens when I log in to work on Sunday. I suspect there will be lots of downtime.

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007 6:57:00 PM, Blogger v said...

Yeah I gotta say, this new Daylight Savings Time date seems to be turning into a mini-Y2K (yes, I watch The Daily Show).

Thankfully all the IT people are known for not procrastinating, not passing the buck, and their people skills.

 
At Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:17:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Ahh, Flix, I wish. The hospital provides me the PC in question, and the fact is, all of health care is on PC platform.

 
At Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:25:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Flix - I actually DID lol.

La - In a job review once when I was much younger and had a cubicle job, my supervisor said I was "easily annoyed by the incompetence of others." I took it as a compliment, but I don't think it was intended as one.

 
At Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:21:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

LA, that's cool. I wish only the best for my fellow bloggers.

 
At Sunday, March 11, 2007 12:12:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Edit - You're probably right in that it was meant as a criticism, but I, too, would be proud of that critique. I'm exactly the same way which is why it's better that I work alone!

 
At Monday, March 12, 2007 8:28:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Oh boy, I love HGTV so this website looks great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home