Thursday, March 01, 2007

Investor Savant?

Only because of my anticipated real estate purchase in the next 6-18 months, I’ve acquired the annoying habit of obsessively checking my investments every single day. So I knew exactly what my balance was going into Tuesday, the day the Dow dropped almost 500 points. Like serious investors, I imagine, I nervously waited for my new balance to be posted, naturally fearing the worst. Somehow, I had a gain. And not just any gain, I had a 3 percent gain in one day. I had my best single-day gain ever.

WTF?

Seriously, there is NO logical explanation for this. My lack of experience and skill as an investor is exceeded only by my lack of experience and skill as an heiress. I equate this bonanza to that of the ditzy blonde winning the office football pool using the cuteness of the teams’ mascot as her sole criteria for making choices.

8 Comments:

At Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:47:00 AM, Blogger EditThis said...

I can't pay that much attention to my investments. (Not that I have a lot of them). Some of the guys I work with check the market several times a day. Why stress yourself out? Unless you SELL on the day the Dow drops, you're not really losing anything. Nice job on the gain.

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:53:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Hey I won 600 bucks in my local pub NFL pool this past season, so don't sell dumb luck short!

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 12:16:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

edit - That's my baseline attitude about investing... put money away regularly, read my quarterly statements, and not worry about it in between. I hate what I'm turning into, but I know it's only a temporary state.

diane - I remember that, and trust me, I'm not selling it short. I'm quite happy that I actually got lucky for a change!

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:14:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Yeah, and I thought I timed my home purchase perfectly. LA, you may take the prize!

 
At Friday, March 02, 2007 10:51:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Good work LA!

I don't pay attention to my money as much as I should. Which may be an underlying cause as to why I don't have any. Hum...

 
At Friday, March 02, 2007 11:25:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

You go girl!

I'm so jealous. I have absolutely no understanding of how the stock market works and no ability to learn it. My eyes glaze over and drool dribbles down my chin whenever someone tries to explain.

 
At Saturday, March 03, 2007 5:27:00 PM, Blogger v said...

Perhaps your investments are well balanced or predominately in low risk investments. Or a couple of your investments had a stellar day to counteract the market's decline.

I don't think anyone enjoyed the market correction, but it was due and deflates (or tries to) any bubble talk. Hopefully the bear will not emerge from hibernation.

And if anyone is interested in good investment websites, check out the Motley Fool. I couldn't recommend a better website.

And best of luck house hunting! Hopefully real estate prices have come back to earth in your area after the recent popping of the bubble.

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007 8:13:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

all my stuff is doing well, also.
then again, everything is in international mutual funds for my IRA, my rollover IRA and my 401K.
things are WAY too shaky here to have much invested domestically thanks to Greenspan and W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home