Sunday, November 11, 2007

This one time, at knitting camp...

I think the "grand scheme of things" reasons I didn't get the loft are becoming clear. (Here's one of my photos of it.)

I almost backed out of knitting camp last minute this year. Alfie had a rough few days last week, and I had him at the emergency vet the day before I was supposed to leave. His allergies were acting up, but the reason we went to the vet was due to the fact he was vomiting several times a day. I was worried about a GI obstruction or maybe pancreatitis or worse, so off we went to the animal ER.

So after several hundred dollars' worth of negative tests, he came home with medication for the vomiting and an antibiotic, just in case something infectious was brewing. Actually, the tests weren't entirely negatively. His x-rays showed some age-related problems that I need to keep an eye on, but nothing acute and nothing relating to his current problems. (Alfie's almost 14.)

After he had a normal night (his first all week), he woke up Thursday morning "sassing" me (meaning he was back to his normal self), and I left for knitting camp as scheduled.

This camp I go to is about two hours away from home in the mountains where there is no cell service. On Friday morning, I was walking from my cabin to the meeting room with friends, when I noticed one, two, then three steps, my knee giving way. By the third step, I absolutely could not walk on it.

Fortunately for me, there were enough sweet little old ladies in attendance that two canes were immediately available to me with three more just a parking lot away. (Who knew so many women traveled with canes?) So as humiliating as this was, I borrowed a cane from the cutest little 86-year-old woman you've ever met. I gimped my way around the next 24 hours, painfully allowing people to wait on me. (I'm serious, it was so awkward to let people take care of me, I'm so independent in my life.) As luck would have it, someone was leaving early on Saturday (versus Sunday, and I had carpooled with others). Once we drove far enough down the mountain, I was able to contact my sister and arrange for her to meet me back home. We went straight to urgent care where now I was the one subjected to x-rays, etc.

Eight years ago, I tore my posterior cruciate ligament (yes, posterior, I know that most people injure their anterior cruciate, but I have to be different, you see). At the time, my dad had had his first stroke the same week, and I opted out of surgery and instead rehabbed my knee with physical therapy. It wasn't really ever 100 percent perfect after that. I have posterior instability and laxity, and little did I know I've been slowly damaging my knee since then, compensating for the instablity with other ligaments, etc.

Anyway, the bottom line is I have arthritis in it (which I knew) and also acute bursitis. I ended up getting a cortisone injection (not nearly as horrible or painful as I feared) and a prescription for an MRI to see if anything's torn (areas of suspect for any medical persons out there are my medial meniscus or medial collateral ligament - my injury is definitely medial). Further treatment will be delineated by the MRI, but please, PLEASE keep good thoughts that nothing's really shredded.

So the cortisone shot has helped a lot. I'm still icing and elevating it, staying off of it as much as possible, but at least I was able to get up the stairs to my front door. My sister had to get some groceries for me this morning and help me out with a few things (and godddamn, I was so fucking bossy, I totally had to reel it in), but I'm pretty self-contained now until I get my MRI appointment. A friend is bringing my car back tomorrow or Tuesday (from the whole carpool set up, my car is in someone else's driveway about 15 miles from home).

What a pain. But if I were packing boxes right now, facing a move, and dealing with escrow, my life would be impossible. This last shot is from the bedroom of the loft facing down towards the living area (the kitchen is in the middle). The top picture is the reverse, living room towards bedroom. I'm off to read more of the Pattie Boyd autobiography now.

11 Comments:

At Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:10:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Ok, the loft is GORGEOUS, but like you say, everything happens for a reason. I'm glad Alfie is better, but OMG, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee . . . let me know what I can do to help . . .

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2007 9:04:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

LA!!! I tell you, this past year has been, let's just say, interesting. (From my POV, maybe yours, too.) On a regular cycle, things have been breaking down here. Much of the stuff was repaired. Numerous things replaced. I could make a list, but even I wouldn't believe it. Over the summer, I fell, and messed-up my arms. Nothing broken, but sprained enough to make things tough. Then the beavers moved in and proceeded to eat their way through my woods. I think they know I am an animal lover because they built their hut in plain view of my backyard!! It's huge!! It's like the McMansion of Beaver Huts. And these buggers used mostly mud, which they dredge up from the floor of the river. Once it dries, it's like cement.

Naturally, pulling their dam apart with sprained arms was a great challenge. Actually it really sucked. And I only really did it because the water levels kept getting higher and higher. With these crazy rainstorms, where would all the extra water go?

And tonight, my laptop finally moved on to cyperspace. The logic board has quit, an expensive piece of plastic following just a week after my furnace blower needed a rebuild.

So I share this long post with you, not to make light of your situation, but rather bring a smile to your face. Because it really would seem to be a bad week to buy a condo.

(And stop bitching at your sister!!)

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 4:01:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

:(
I do have confidence you will get yours and all the stars will line up.
In the interim, please feel better and rest up that leg!

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 5:41:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

a) that loft was SWEET! Sorry it didn't work out.

b) The cortisone shots I got a few years ago in my shoulder hurt like a mother, so I'm glad it didn't hurt for you.

c) lol. You said "posterior." :)

d) I have Thursday off. Let me know if you need anything.

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 5:59:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

The loft is great, but more importantly, your health is way more important!! This year has been the most agonizing, back breaking, knee shattering, rib splitting year in recent memory. Just this weekend, I dropped something on my foot and by the looks of it, I'm pretty sure a few bones are broken.

Get some R&R and use the down time to scour the real estate sections in the paper and online. I feel it in my bones, something good is coming your way!

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 11:24:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I hope that your knee is feeling better. Were you able to watch Bros and Hos this weekend? I think that it was outstanding, especially the first 15 minutes. I am really warming up to Calista. There really needs to be some Justin/Scotty/Jason drama. I swear if the WGA and producers don't figure something out and settle I think I will have personally come down to So Cal to lay the effin smack down. Actually I am going to send Arnold. I saw him at lunch a few weeks ago. I know people, who know people, who know people...

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

While you were knee was killing you on Saturday, I ran 20 miles. I think I may feel like 8% of your pain.

 
At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:03:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

20 miles, Ryan! And here I was just feeling good about finally hitting the 5 mile mark!!

 
At Saturday, November 17, 2007 8:48:00 AM, Blogger prettykitty said...

i feel your pain. i am still living like a gypsy. bouncing between family, friends and the kindness of strangers. i really like not having any responsibility, but i sure would like some place to call home. in the meantime, i spend more time in so cal then no cal. go figure!

hope your knee is better!

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 10:17:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

There is nothing worse than having a body part crap out on you. I hope that knee gets back in gear soon. You need to show it who's boss!

Are you going to review the Pattie Boyd book? I'd sort of like to read it, but only if she gives up some juicy info about sex with George.

 
At Monday, November 19, 2007 5:09:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm doing a lot better. The cortisone shot really helped.

Pru - The Pattie Boyd book was interesting but it wasn't great literature. Sorry, but no sex scenes at all. I came away disliking Eric Clapton a lot. She was married to him during the height of his raging alcoholism. I'd be doing him a disservice if I didn't read his autobiography next because I know he's turned his life around quite a bit. Nevertheless, he was quite the bastard when he was married to her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home