Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Subversive Knitting

I was cleaning up my hard drive when I came upon these photos. Remember my friend from a previous post who is in the movie, Never Been Thawed? Some time back, her husband was complaining to me that the tip of her nose is always icy cold, and I guess she uses it as a weapon or something, but he wished she had a nosewarmer. Aware that I had a nosewarmer in my armory of knitting patterns (courtesy of Knitty), I smiled knowingly. The next time I saw them, I presented them with this, yes, a knitted nosewarmer. Subsequently, they were was kind enough to later send me this photograph of her modeling it.

But I knew I had really hit the jackpot when, along with the origintal photo, they also included this shot of Afro Ken, demonstrating that one woman's nosewarmer is another man's stocking cap. My sister was especially impressed that they knew who Afro Ken even was.

By the way, if you like subversive knitting, you're going to love subversive cross-stitch. And Joy, Knitty also has these patterns for Blythe gear that I think you'll dig.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:01:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

Your're killing me!!!
I love those Blythe knitties. I'm alway buying these types of tops on E-bay from Blythe Knitters.
I so love your post, thank you!

Btw, I love San-X and Afro-Ken

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 1:41:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

You're welcome, Joy. Naturally you are the first person I thought of when I saw the Blythe clothes!

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:11:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

LA:
There is good money to be made making Blythe knitted wear!

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this a while ago, and I hung on to it. I think my grandmother soundly followed all 10 steps.

How To Be A Bad-Ass Knitter.

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:37:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ryan - LOL! That's good. I see the source is Wendy... I've got a link to her, she's great. I guess I'm a bad-ass knitter like your grandmother! Are you one, too? I've been changing patterns since I was a beginner.

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:01:00 PM, Blogger Leo Tolstoy said...

OMG LA, that is hilarious.....and as Martha would say, it's a good thing! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home