Friday, February 16, 2007

Revving Up?

With the exception of The Office, it was a disappointing night in television last night.

Scrubs. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I can't even really remember what it was about only 18 hours later, it was that dull. Maybe this should be the last season. If future episodes are that lackluster, there's no point in continuing.


Grey's. I'll probably have more to say about it once my thoughts cogitate a bit longer, but mostly, I thought it sucked hard. Ryan and I have already swapped emails about this, so I know some of you disagree with me, but I thought Izzy's little "speech" was ridiculous. When did she get so fucking sanctimonious? The ending? I'll withhold final judgment until we see what they do with it. My first thought was, "oh dear God, don't tell me they're going to run a parallel universe of dead people starring Meredith, Denny and Bomb Squad guy." That I even had that thought at all tells me this show is officially over-the-top in terms of cheesy melodrama. It's been (deliberately) "leaked" through E!'s television writer that someone else dies next week, and "one of the deaths will stick." That basically suggests to me that next week's episode will have Meredith hanging out in purgatory with Denny and Bomb Squad guy, no doubt swapping grand philosophical ideas. In the meantime, someone else will die (Ellis? McDreamy in a grand Romeo/Juliet gesture as suggested by Lainey?), and Meredith will be miraculously resuscitated, probably by Addison in some sweeping moment of irony. On the podcast I listened to today, Shonda Rhimes (creator, producer, head writer) clearly declared she doesn't believe in "happily ever afters." Fine, I don't either, but at this point, Grey's is a trainwreck. While I admit I can't look away, I also note that it's not the same as being a quality show. I still long for a return to the sharp programming of seasons #1 and 2, and because I'm not a complete nihilist, I'm holding out a glimmer of hope.

My head hurts.

Feel free to disagree. In fact, I welcome it. I'm so discouraged, I'd like someone to tell me there's still something right about this show (besides Alex).

p.s. If Doc the dead dog turns up in any of these parallel universe scenes, I'm going to blow a gasket.

8 Comments:

At Friday, February 16, 2007 1:53:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Greys was so bad. I'm really hoping Merideth is dead. I'm talking perma-dead. I know she's the title character of the show and I don't care. Dead would be awesome.

The office was priceless, when Jim convinced Dwight he was turning into a vampire. So funny.

 
At Friday, February 16, 2007 4:41:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Earl was pretty good last night.
The Office was really good, though.

 
At Friday, February 16, 2007 6:43:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

What has happened to Grey's Anatomy? How does a female adult fall off a dock into the water and not doggy paddle to the nearby ramp McSteamy carrys you out on? He walks out of the water!

And if a passenger ferry crashes in any major US city, you're going to have hundreds of professional law, fire and rescue people swarming the area. There is no way Izzy would not be assisted.

Are the writers putting rum in thier coffee?

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:09:00 AM, Blogger v said...

Yeah, THE OFFICE was close to priceless hilarity. But so was 30 ROCK. Seriously, I can't say enough good things about 30 ROCK. Watch it people!

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 2:29:00 PM, Blogger kookla100 said...

I don't usually watch The Office, because will-they-won't-they scenarios on sitcoms ran their course back in the days of Cheers, but I loved this week's episode. I was so moved when Michael showed up to the art exhibit. Having been a fledling artist myself, the fact that he wanted to buy her picture was just so touching. I also loved the humor in that scene. And Pelegrim will not let me live down the fact that I cried like a girl.

BTW: What's with that new hit counter? Girl, your website is starting to look like the California Lottery billboard. Okay, I'm jealous. : )

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:52:00 PM, Blogger Jim Marquis said...

That may have been the best Office episode ever. I especially loved it when Dwight fell off the desk and when Michael hit that student in the face with the 100 Grand bar.

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:09:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

I have to agree on Scrubs. It was SOO much funnier in the early seasons. I only feel compelled to keep watching because I've never missed one and I think this is the last season.

 
At Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:42:00 PM, Blogger Leisa said...

I totally agree about your Grey's review. IT SUCKED. So predictable. As if the title character is going to croak. Blah.

You might be right about Addison being the savior. Good call LA.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home