Sunday, February 11, 2007

Not One Word About Anna Nicole Smith

My real estate journey continues. Prices are steadily deflating in Southern California, much to my delight (no offense, homeowners). There's been no "bubble popping" or market crash, it's just more of a slow leak. That said, it's apparent to me that proximity to the ocean predicts a slower decline in price, and while more expensive overall, is clearly a better investment because these properties retain their value. The bottom line for me is that in the six months I've diligently been tracking prices, more choices in better neighborhoods are becoming available.

Over the weekend, I focused my attention on some of the historic and grand buildings in downtown Long Beach. I'm very attracted to the elegant 1920s architecture while in some ways put off by lack of amenities. Nevertheless, I contacted a couple local realtors who specialize in these buildings and began making charts to track issues like pet policies, parking, condo versus co-op status (yes, there are still several co-ops in Long Beach, and I prefer a condo), etc. Sadly, I had to eliminate a graceful old beauty, the Cooper Arms (pictured), due its prohibition on pets (bastards!).

One realtor's email actually charmed me. Turns out, she lives in the building I had inquired about (which explains why she has so many listings in that building). She not only described the pet policy, but she went as far as to detail specific animals who live there by breed, weight, and name. It was a smart strategy, too, because now I'm even more in love with the building that houses Chipmunk the mastiff and Stanley the pug owned by a vet who gives discounts to his neighbors!

I went against my better judgment recently and gave Comedy Central's new show, The Sarah Silverman Program, a watch. I've never thought she was particularly funny, and the commercials did not pique my interest. But I'm a long-time fan of Jimmy Kimmel, and on his endorsement (she's his girlfriend), I decided to keep an open mind and watch her show. Please, allow me to spare you the misery. This show is neither funny nor entertaining. In fact, it was painful. It's 30 minutes of my life regrettably wasted.

8 Comments:

At Monday, February 12, 2007 8:34:00 AM, Blogger EditThis said...

Good luck on your condo search. You're looking in a very cool area. I'm lucky that I bought my condo 4 years ago because I wouldn't be able to afford the very same place at today's prices.

I saw the Sara Silverman thing coming. I don't find her very funny, either.

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 9:34:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

I find myself turning the channel on Sarah Silverman.

Good luck on your real estate search. My advice is to go with an agent you work well with. Personality between you and your realtor is a major factor in how smoothly the process can go. Too many people go with agents that are top producers or are well known names around town, but often they won't have much time to give to you, or you could be passed off on to a buyer's agent.

I'm excited to hear more about your property search, la! The one you were talking about sounds very cool. Plus, an in-house vet could come in handy if you ever had a pet emergency.

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 12:21:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I am always a little wary when a place prohibits pets, but a bunch of people have them. That's a red flag.

Any place connected with the water will hold it's value. Forever.

And I think Jimmy is thinking with his penis.

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 1:08:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

LA - glad to hear the home search is going well! There are some very cool properties in the LBC - and anybody who names their mastiff Chipmunk is probably an ok person in my book

 
At Monday, February 12, 2007 5:23:00 PM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

I could not agree with you more on the Sarah Silverman show. Her idea of comedy is so stupid and really immature. I wish I could have those thirty minutes of my life back.

 
At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 8:05:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Flix - I should have been more clear... the building that had the animals the realtor described is NOT the same building that prohibits pets. Two separate addresses in question here. Sorry if I bungled that.

 
At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:10:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Oh, that's cool. I have come across places that say no pets, but people bring them in anyways.

Then conflict and drama follow.

 
At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 2:16:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

To own something by the beach would be really wonderful. I hope it all goes well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home