Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Meet the Smithereens

Hey Beatles fans, I've got a hot tip for you... Meet the Smithereens. Do you remember them, the Smithereens? I was a fan back in the day, but they haven't recorded anything together since 1999 until now. They have covered the album, Meet the Beatles, in its entirety. They didn't rearrange or try to rework the classics; they simply went in and recorded it straight. And it works rather beautifully. I previewed all the songs on iTunes before I downloaded, something I strongly recommend before downloading anything. (Had I listened to my own advice, I might have saved a buck when I downloaded an unwanted ballad-like version of 99 Luft Balloons, but I digress.) I think it sounds fantastic, and is a lovely tribute to Meet the Beatles which was released 43, yes 43 years ago this year.

And here's a more obscure musical tip which will only appeal to a select target audience, Scrubs fans. This is a link to an album by Ted's band. Yes, the bumbling hospital lawyer on the show and his barbershop quartet-style acapella singers are indeed a band in real life, and they have a website and a CD for sale.

Even though I was working Sunday, I turned the Super Bowl on to keep track of the score and watch the commercials. I'm usually a big fan of the Super Bowl Sunday ads, but it was my feeling that this year represented a rather anemic effort by Madison Avenue. My favorite was the Oprah/Letterman spot, but I also appreciated the one for "connectile dysfunction." (Note that only three days later, the corporate affiliation of each ad is already lost, though I think connectile dysfunction might have been Sprint. Maybe.) I was done working by halftime, and enjoyed Prince and his theatrical guitar work, even in the pouring rain. And for the record, no, I don't think the suggestive shadowing was an unplanned accident. In fact, I thought it was quite clever "wardrobe malfunction," oh snap!

Later, I enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine.

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 1:02:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

Puhlease. If only something Prince did wasn't calculated. That's what I love about him!

 
At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 2:25:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Oh I must check out that Smithereens album. I was quite the fan way back when.

 
At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:12:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Thanks for the heads up on that Smithereens album. Did I mention a friend of mine lost her virginity to their lead singer, when she was...oh...just a bit underage?

 
At Wednesday, February 07, 2007 9:03:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Hey, thanks for the tip! Loved the Smithereens back in the old 90's.
I have a couple of their CD's.

Glad you liked Little Miss Sunshine. Great movie.
Seems to get a good reaction from most people. Except for dopes..

 
At Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Little Miss Sunshine was my favorite movie of the year! I actually saw it twice in the theater when it came out last summer.

Yes I agree, as you know, the Letterman/Oprah spot was the greatest thing ever!

 
At Friday, February 09, 2007 11:52:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Totally agree with this post! And I'll check out the Smithereens and Ted's Band. I thought the ads were weak too, but loved Prince. And Little Miss was my fav film of 2006 - each of the actors was superb I thought

edit - so how was he?????

 
At Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:50:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

She had hair like Jeannie Shipton back in 1965
She had legs that never ended
I was halfway paralyzed.
She was tall and cool and pretty and she dressed as black as coal
If she asked me to I'd murder, I would gladly lose my soul.

Now I lie in bed and think of her
Sometimes I even weep,
Then I dream of her behind the wall of sleep.

Well she held a bass guitar and she was playing in a band
And she stood just like Bill Wyman
Now I am her biggest fan.
Now I know i'm one of many who would like to be your friend
And I've got to find a way to to let you know I'm not like them.

Now I lie in bed and think of her
Sometimes I even weep,
Then I dream of her behind the wall of sleep.

Got your number form a friend of mine who lives in your home town.
Called you up to have a drink,
Your roommate said you weren't around.
Now I know I'm one of many who would like to be your friend
And I've just got to find a way to to let you know I'm not like them.

Now I lie in bed and think of her
Sometimes I even weep,
Then I dream of her behind the wall of sleep.
Behind the wall of sleep.
Behind the wall of sleep.
Behind the wall of sleep.

LOOOOOVE THAT SONG!!!!

 
At Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:19:00 PM, Blogger v said...

I'm no big Prince fan (because I'm not gay nor a female) but I have to give him mucho props for a solid halftime show. But yeah, I could've gone with a little less shadow phallus.

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:45:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

V - Well I guess that there is one gay man out there that isn't a Prince fan... I just don't get his music and popularity.

And yes, I could've gone with a little less shadow phallus as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home