Monday, December 10, 2007

Hammer of the Gods

Very soon in London, Led Zeppelin will take the stage for a massively anticipated reunion show. Which makes today a religious holiday for a girl like me. It would be my DREAM to be there.

I was fortunate enough to see Zeppelin in what would be their final U.S. tour in the summer of 1977, more than 30 years ago. I was 14 years old and saw them with my best friend at the time at The Forum in Los Angeles. They played for 3.5 hours and I was completely mesmerized. The concert had a major impact on me becoming the serious music fan I am today. I can say with confidence my all-time top three bands are, chronologically speaking, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Fleetwood Mac. Robert Plant was my second serious rock'n' roll crush (the first was Denny Laine - DO NOT LAUGH!). (See, I was already a groupie long before Lindsey Buckingham became famous.) Tonight's show includes Jason Bonham rightly sitting in for Bonzo. This post would not be complete if I didn't mention the incomparable Jimmy Page as well as John Paul Jones.

In real life, I started work at 5:00 a.m. (ugh!) today so I could be done in time to make a doctor's appointment at 2:30 and physical therapy at 5:00. Yeah, that's my real life. But after those commitments are fulfilled, I intended to sit on the sofa, flipping channels until I find news pieces on the Zep show, and dream of a different time. ZoSo forever!

p.s. The Rover makes me wish I played the drums.

7 Comments:

At Monday, December 10, 2007 12:37:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

My sister was very into Led Zeppelin and while I liked some of their stuff, I could never really get into them. I could, however, play Stairway on the guitar. ;)

 
At Monday, December 10, 2007 4:11:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Edit, your sister has very fine taste in music.

 
At Monday, December 10, 2007 5:11:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.com/site.php

This is perfection realized. Check it out you won't be disappointed. This CD rocks.

Two very different voices, one remarkable sound.

 
At Monday, December 10, 2007 7:31:00 PM, Blogger LA said...

Ryan - I heard about that album, and even better, it's produced by T Bone Burnett. Thanks for the link.

 
At Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:40:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

It'll be interesting to read the reviews - I like Zep, but I'm not a big fan of bands that go on long boring tangents when they play live, and the few times I've seen him play in the last 20 some years (think Live-Aid) Jimmy had definitely lost a step . . .

 
At Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:14:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I like a Zep song now and then. It's tough for me to get through an entire album.

 
At Friday, December 14, 2007 1:32:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

how flippin sweet was that set list, too?
awesome. weighted heavily towards Physical Graffiti as it should have been.. :)

I'm trying to learn how to play The Rover on my Les Paul right now.
The chords are easy, the licks are not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home