Sunday, February 18, 2007

Not a Review, a Warning

Look, I know I’m a little hypercritical, but allow me to spare you about 90 minutes of mind-numbing boredom. I made the mistaking of seeing Music and Lyrics as I was duped by a few cute ads deftly featuring Hugh Grant. I say “deftly” because his performance is the sole redeeming factor of a film which otherwise fails miserably, and it was mighty clever of the marketing folks to feature the best 30 seconds of the movie in their preview. Obviously, I knew it wouldn’t be art or anything, but I thought it would be reliable for a few laughs. In reality, it was good for very few laughs and no hearty ones at that. To be fair, some of the audience appeared to like it, but their higher cognitive powers were obviously anesthetized. Everyone in my party thought it was crap.

11 Comments:

At Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:13:00 PM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

While I enjoy Hugh Grant and I enjoy Drew Barrymore, I didn't have high hopes for this movie. Good to know it sucks before I wasted any cash on it.

Happy weekend, LA.

 
At Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:58:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

I've seen the trailer.

 
At Sunday, February 18, 2007 7:55:00 PM, Blogger Leisa said...

What a drag. I too was hoping for a few cheap laughs and alot of Hugh.

 
At Sunday, February 18, 2007 9:38:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

LA - THANK YOU FOR WRITING MY REVIEW FOR ME. I JUST SAW THIS POS MOVIE AND COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE.

 
At Sunday, February 18, 2007 11:37:00 PM, Blogger bird said...

This just looks horrible, coulda saved you the pain,baby!

:)

^This coming from someone who actually saw Ricky Bobby. Talladega Nights..DOOOOO NOT see that no matter how much you heart Will Ferell..just sayin'

 
At Monday, February 19, 2007 11:38:00 AM, Blogger Silvia said...

I knew there was a reason I tune into your blogs, miss! :) I just saw that movie last night and apparently was the only one in my party that felt the EXACT way that you did. Hugh Grant was the reason I stuck it out! Glad to know I am not alone!

 
At Monday, February 19, 2007 1:40:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Drew Barrymore drives me nuts. That lisp and the way she talks out of the side of her mouth really get on my last nerve. Hugh is okay but not worth ten bucks.

 
At Monday, February 19, 2007 6:05:00 PM, Blogger v said...

I was wondering about this one after reading a semi-recommendation from Slate's film critic. While this isn't exactly my "genre" of movie, I'll surely stay clear of it now.

 
At Monday, February 19, 2007 8:26:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

I have to admit, I love Hugh Grant, but have very little hope for this movie because of Drew Barrymore. She's cute enough, but just not a good actress. At. All.

 
At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:23:00 PM, Blogger pelegrim said...

This movie looked like shite on a cracker, and a horrible embarassment for all involved. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, la.

 
At Friday, February 23, 2007 5:39:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

I'll save my money for Zodiac and maybe . . . Reno 911 - Miami

 

Post a Comment

<< Home