Monday, February 26, 2007

A Miss and A Hit

Okay, so my work computer situation spontaneously corrected itself today. I had two tech support guys from the hospital helping me yesterday (and they were remotely logged into my computer working on it, so I know it wasn’t me), and they couldn’t figure out why my SRA connection kept timing out. As a diagnosis of exclusion, they decided that the problem lay in the fact that I had upgraded to the latest version of IE which is apparently known to not be compatible with our intranet/internal hospital system. No one was strongly convinced that this was the culprit considering I had upgraded the browser upgrade 8 weeks ago. So I got up early today in order to take my computer in and get a browser downgrade. I decided I’d try to log in one last time before lugging it downstairs to my car, and sure enough, everything worked perfectly. Go figure. Mercury is retrograde which astrologers believe causes anything communication-related to go on the fritz. You know what? At this point, it’s as good an explanation as any.

So this weekend was busy. I celebrated my birthday with various people in my life. I also went to see models of a new construction condo complex in downtown Long Beach. When I got there, I discovered they had only one model even though there are six different layouts and sizes of condos in this development. Furthermore, the sole model was a mock-up in an unrelated building a block away from the actual construction site. WTF? Of course, they were urging everyone to disclose all their financial information, get prequalified, and sign on dotted lines. All the while, I’m thinking “Fuck you. You mislead everyone into coming down to see the ‘grand opening of the models,’ you show us a sole bogus unit in a building we won’t be living in, and now you want us to sign our lives away? Eat me.” Of course, I uttered none of these thoughts. I merely smiled benignly while inside I seethed with rage. When I got home and started reading the packet, I saw that HOAs are going to start at $500/month for the least expensive (yet still pricey) smallest unit. Let’s just say due to lack of interest, I’m no longer on the “interest list.”

On the flip side, a unit I’ve wistfully had my eye on in the Villa Riviera just came down $45,000, placing it at the excruciatingly stretched high end of my budget. This is an improvement from the unequivocally unobtainable status it was a few weeks ago. It’s lovely. Check it out. Note the black marble floor in the entry.





10 Comments:

At Monday, February 26, 2007 2:36:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Very nice. New construction is sweet. Sorry to hear about the wasted trip to the first place. Talk about bait and switch.

 
At Monday, February 26, 2007 3:48:00 PM, Blogger Diane said...

'tis a lovely pad . . .

 
At Monday, February 26, 2007 3:59:00 PM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I want to live there!

 
At Monday, February 26, 2007 7:51:00 PM, Blogger joy said...

Gorgeous!

 
At Monday, February 26, 2007 10:38:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Can I move in with you LA?

 
At Tuesday, February 27, 2007 8:36:00 AM, Blogger EditThis said...

Sweet looking condo. $500/mo HOA dues? F that.

 
At Tuesday, February 27, 2007 11:34:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

What are HOA's? Like condo fees? It's very pretty, but $500/mo for anything seems pricy.

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:28:00 AM, Blogger Mike V. said...

I like the photos. Not bad for new construction.
I've noticed that a lot of new condos or townhomes have it over new houses I have seen. Most of the latter being complete shit.

I think the condo market is geared more towards people with lives, rather than the new homes that are geared towards breeders..

 
At Thursday, March 01, 2007 10:08:00 AM, Blogger LA said...

Mike - For clarity sake, the photos are from a place for sale in the Villa Riviera which was built in the 1920s.

Even though I took my camera, the new construction place I visited last weekend is not pictured at all since they showed us a "mock-up" model that wasn't even in the real building.

Edit - I know, $500 HOA is nuts.

Mishy - HOAs is an acronym for homeowners association (fees). It's the non-tax deductable fee you pay monthly in a condo or townhouse situation where they take care of common areas, insurance, and usually trash and water bills.

 
At Friday, March 02, 2007 10:38:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Oh, right. Yes, $500/mo is rather pricy for HOAs. In condos in Toronto, they're called maintence fees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home