Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Birthday PSA

Today is my birthday.

To celebrate my 44 years of good health, I did something special today. This afternoon, I went to the hospital and donated blood, but more importantly, I registered to be in the National Bone Marrow Donor Program. I went in, filled out some forms, gave a pint, got my cheek swabbed for the bone marrow testing, enjoyed a sandwich and juice, and left with the satisfaction of knowing that it is now possible for me to make meaningful difference in someone’s life.

Bone marrow matching is more specific than blood matching. Because marrow tissue typing is so specific, a national data base has been developed to track potential donors’ types which is searched as patients require transplants. You may be a match for someone, but it is impossible to know until you give a sample. Getting on the data base facilitates that process. A successful bone marrow match and transplantation gives patients with lymphoma, leukemia, and other hematologic diseases the chance to make healthy blood cells again. It is truly the gift of life. I encourage you to learn more here.

16 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 7:55:00 PM, Blogger GetFlix said...

Well, let me be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday!

 
At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Happy Birthday LA! I hope you have an awesome day and that somebody bought you a cake. It isn't a true birthday in my book if there is no cake.

 
At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Mike V. said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to you, young lady!

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:59:00 AM, Blogger PixieGaf said...

Happy Birthday LA! You did a noble thing by donating your blood.

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:23:00 AM, Blogger M-M-M-Mishy said...

Many happy returns, LA!

While I've never donated blood, (which is somthing I really need to do soon...) I have always carried an organ donation card in my wallet with my driver's licence. Good for you for registering to be a bone marrow doner.

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 12:07:00 PM, Blogger EditThis said...

Happy Birthday, LA! That's really a great thing you did, and a reminder to me that I need to do that sort of thing more often.

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:14:00 PM, Blogger pelegrim said...

Happy Birthday, La! That's great that you put yourself in the bone marrow donor database. How much does it hurt when they extract it?

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:03:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Girl. I'm on lockdown at the moment, so I can't get out as often as I used to. I'm working on charming Pelegrim to buy me a new laptop, so I don't have to borrow PKs anymore.

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:04:00 PM, Blogger kookla@work said...

BTW: I'm still jealous of that hit counter!!

 
At Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:30:00 PM, Blogger norm said...

Norm wishes you a happy 44th!!

 
At Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:51:00 AM, Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Happy Belated Birthday, LA! I hope it was wonderful. You are an awesome chick for doing that! I faint at the sight of needles but one of these days I'd love to quit being such a baby and donate blood.

 
At Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:31:00 AM, Blogger v said...

Happy B-Day! I hope you had a wonderful day and that you got your SCRUBS fix on, ha. And seriously, what a wonderful, selfless gift to give on your birthday. You are a truly special person. Once again, I hope you had a truly special day.

 
At Friday, February 23, 2007 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Nice reminder on the importance of blood and bone marrow donations. I used to give blood frequently but finally got tired of the Red Cross' tactics - I need to go give blood to my local hospital and avoid the RC

p.s. you must, must, must check out 30 Rock, too

 
At Friday, February 23, 2007 4:47:00 PM, Blogger bird said...

Awwww LA!

Happy birthday! You are a cool chick with many interests and talents and are one of my fave bloggers.

You totally rock, doing the bone marrow thing. You deserve a great year...God bless you!
love,
the bird

 
At Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:53:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

Happy Birthday easter bunny LA ~

 
At Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:54:00 AM, Blogger joy said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy La

 

Post a Comment

<< Home